Smile (chapter twenty three)

*Mention of alcohol*

Dan

He never asked to do stuff like this, going to a bar or getting drinks, it just wasn't him. Or at least the version of him he always made himself out to be. I don't know, but to me (and most of his followers on the internet) Phil was like a little cinnimon roll that would never 'get drunk' and 'go to bars or clubs', even though I've seen him do those things before and been with him while he did them.

But aside from the whole thing being almost completely out of character, I was excited. Phil and I hadn't really done anything together in a while and I was looking forward to a time when we could be alone and I wouldn't have to hear about Victoria and suffer the drama around her and Phil's relationship.

So when I had gotten the text from him (on the train, close to arriving back at the flat) of course I said yes!

When I got home Phil was waiting on the sofa watching anime.

"So, bar tonight?" I said while I took of my coat and gloves.

Phil looked up from the television screen. "Yeah!" He exclaimed enthusiastically. "Ready for some quality 'bro' time?"

"Hell yes!" I tried to mimic his excited speech.

"I say we leave around nine-ish and go to the bar a few blocks over."

"Sounds good to me."

"Wanna watch this episode with me?" He gestured to a spot right next to him. It brought memories back of the way we used to sit so close to each other. I missed that.

I nodded and took a seat on the sofa beside Phil. I tried my best not to lean into him.

Even thought all I wanted to do was put my head onto his shoulder and enjoy some quiet time, just the two of us.

*************

Phil

We had agreed that the two of us would walk to the bar instead of calling a cab. I really just wanted to talk to Dan before we got into the crowed bar where I knew we would be animals in a cage of drunk maniacs.

...I was beginning to question why I had suggested a bar and not a restaurant...

The air was dry and cold due to the almost winter season. The street lamps were on but the street itself was immensely dark. I was also beginning to question why the time I said we should leave at was so late, and why Dan had gone along with it.

"Remind me again why you wanted to go to a bar with me?" Dan had looked over while I was lost in thought. He smiled awkwardly.  

"Oh, um... I don't know, I guess I just wanted to spend some 'bro' time with you. Remember?" I punched Dan's arm and laughed.

"Watch it!" He punched my arm in return. "I know that, but why specifically?"

"We never do stuff like this and-" Dan cut me off.

"That's my point! We never do stuff like this, so why now?"

"Why have we ever done anything? Why have we gone on tour? Why have we wrote a book?"

"Did you just compare going to a bar to going on a world tour?" He giggled with his hands over his mouth, like I do. But when Dan did it, he looked ten times more adorable.

I started to giggle as well. Whenever he laughs, I have to join in too, it's as contagious as the common cold.

About 15 minutes of talking, laughing and coming way to close to bumping into each other later, Dan and I were walking over the threshold of the bar.