31

"Promise you'll keep in touch, okay?" Liam asked, hugging me to his chest tightly.

It was finally the day we had all been dreading, and each successive goodbye I got from the boys was like a sucker punch to the gut. These were some of my best friends, and I wasn't ready to say goodbye to them.

I wanted more time; we all did.

Earlier that morning, two intimidatingly large men in black suits and sunglasses (mind you, it was cloudy and raining) knocked on the front doors, claiming that they were sent by Management to 'escort me to my new flat'. In my opinion, that was a sorry attempt at a nicer way of saying they were there to kick me out.They stood at the doors like statues, looking like they just walked off the set of the next Men in Black movie. 

Their presence was unnerving, to say the least.

All the boys had gathered at the doorway, saying their goodbyes and wishing me luck, and although I was upset, I felt somewhat numb. It didn't feel real to me. This new and exciting chapter of my life that I had spent with the boys was coming to an end, and I hadn't prepared for what would come next.

I had spent every day of my summer with these boys, living in this flat. They were all I knew in London. Everything from this point onward would be new to me, and quite honestly, it was scary.

I was officially on my own.

"I will," I promised Liam, squeezing him back in an embrace before stepping out of his arms. Louis stepped up quickly from behind Liam, pulling me into a bear hug.

"I'm gonna miss having you around all the time, kid," Louis said affectionately, holding me tightly. I hugged him back, feeling my eyes prick with tears, but I never let them fall.

I would not let myself cry, especially not in front of the men in black.

"We'll sneak you into one of our shows or something, don't you worry," he whispered in my ear, making sure the two men in suits didn't catch anything he said. "We'll see you soon."

I nodded, letting him know I understood and gave him another squeeze before unwrapping my arms from around him. He gave me an encouraging smile and a kiss on the forehead before stepping aside to let Zayn take his place.

Zayn hadn't said anything as he walked up to me, not trying to hide the frown that donned his lips. I could tell since the moment that the men in black walked in that his mood had soured, and I couldn't help but share the feeling.

He just watched me quietly with sad eyes before pulling me into his arms, his hand resting on the back of my head.

"I'll miss you," I mumbled after a few seconds of silence. He just nodded, keeping his steady hold on me.

"Take care of yourself, please," he sighed after a long silence, pulling away sightly so that his eyes made contact with mine. They were pleading, and I knew he was worried about me being on my own, much like the rest of the boys were.

"I will," I offered a small, reassuring smile. "Promise."

"Okay," he replied, his hand cupping the side of my face as he gave me a smile that mirrored mine before finally stepping away.

Three down, two to go, I thought as I watched Harry walk up to where I was standing, a sad smile plastered along his lips.