13

*Harry's POV*

"Niall's going to kill me." I stated, consumed in the current subject of Katie's injured hand.

I felt horrible. If I hadn't sneaked up from behind her while she was playing, this wouldn't have happened. But I couldn't help it! I couldn't believe how beautifully she played that song. It got me thinking why she never approached the piano before. It was almost like she was... hiding something.

"Why?!" She exclaimed, looking shocked. "You didn't even do anything! This is all my fault..." She lowered her head in shame. For the past ten minutes now, all she has done is blame herself for what happened, and let me tell you.

It was killing me.

I couldn't stand to see her beating herself up so badly. She was being so hard on herself, no matter how many times I told her it was fine and that she didn't mean it and that I forgave her. She was such a sweet and genuine girl, it was almost impossible to think that she meant me any harm. 

"Katie, look at me." I said quietly, lifting her chin up with my finger to meet my eyes. Her cheeks flooded with the now familiar pink flush, not only making her extremely cute, but oddly sexy in her own effortless way. She was just indescribable; genuinely unique.

And it made me speechless.

"What?" She asked innocently, snapping me back to reality as she waited for me to continue.

"It's not your fault." I answered without hesitation. "If it wasn't for me sneaking up on you none of this would have happened. I'm so sorry." I said with as much sincerity as I could muster. For some reason, I found myself wanting to make her happy. I didn't want to see her hurting like this as she took all of this guilt on herself.

"But I punched you!" She said with disbelief. " What do you mean it's all your fault?! punched youIn the face!" She started to ramble. "I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted to put a restraining order against me! I mean, it's kind of understandable knowing that I basically just assaulted you. But -"

"Katie!" I cut in, giving her an amused smirk as the blush once again made it's way into her cheeks.

"Sorry. I was rambling, wasn't I?" She asked shyly, breaking eye contact with me.

"Kind of." I replied with a knowing grin. I was currently finding it physically impossible to fathom how she could be so cute. Suddenly, she let out a small gasp of shock, her pink lips forming a small 'o'.

"It's starting to bruise!" She said, the dread evident in her voice. She immediately took the ice pack off of her what-seemed-to-be broken hand and pressed it to my jaw once again.

This girl was so hard to understand.

"I'm fine, babe!" I started, looking up to see her red face as she reacted to the nickname I just gave her. "We need to look after your hand right now, okay?" I said, reaching to pry the ice pack off of my jaw and back onto her knuckles as gently as possible. She flinched as it touched her swollen fingers, shutting her eyes closed and clenching her teeth as if trying to keep for crying. 

The sight of her like this broke my heart.

"Okay. It's hurts now." She whimpered weakly. "It hurts a lot." Her voice broke as a tear rolled down her flushed cheek. Without hesitation, I reached out and wrapped my arm around her waist, bringing her small body into me. She ducked her head into the crook of my shoulder as if on instinct; her body started to shake as sobs racked through her body.