Chapter Twenty-Two

Princess Cyanide returned home to a war won. She didn't know that it wasn't her own side that had lost, of course, not when the changelings were greeting her with such loud cheering and praise. Not when she flew into the Hive to find it in tact (aside from the holes already there). Cyanide couldn't have known that deep in the tunnels of the Hive that the Great Betrayer and another traitor were planning the downfall of Queen Chrysalis and her plan.

She flew up into the throne room. The trapped ponies in their pods shined down on the throne, like a macabre chandelier. Her mother was on the scarab connection, speaking to a changeling general. You could see the home of the Bearer of Kindness in the background, with only the shattered remains of a shield behind it.

It was going to be a highly celebrated victory. Cyanide could already hear the echoes of screaming ponies in her ears.

"The shield has fallen." The head changeling guard reported. "We have taken the last of the Bearers, and the Great Betrayer's spawn. You have succeeded, My Queen." He bowed the her.

Chrysalis bowed her head in acknowledgment. The guard rose back up. "Well done, Pharynx. Bind them in pods, then bring them to me. You have served the Hive perfectly."

The scarabs turned off.

Chrysalis began to laugh, maniacally. She threw her hooves in the air. Cyanide joined in the laughter, though more subdued out of respect to her mother.

This was the Queen's victory.

This was the Hive's victory.

This was Equestria's downfall.

"At last!" Chrysalis cheered loudly. She flew up in the air, flying in loops above her throne. "My ever so hungry changeling will be allowed to feed on the helpless ponies of Equestria!"

The celebration was cut off by the doors being thrown open. A group of twenty changeling guards brought in a prisoner. Chrysalis' grin stretched out to her ears. If Morgan was asked, she'd say it looked like Beetlejuice.

The Great Betrayer could not look any lower. Her wardrobe was dirty from wherever she'd been hiding. There was a heavy scowl on her face, like some kind of Diamond Dog snarl.

"Chrysalis. You recruited Garfield Logan?" She seethed.

She spoke as Chrysalis' prisoner. Her arms were encased in changeling gel, keeping her as their prisoner. The Queen has the impression this could change any time the Great Betrayer wanted it.

Which was ridiculous. Her magic was cut off by the throne. Chrysalis laughed at the Great Betrayer's rage. 'How foolish Logan was. The Betrayer is useless now, without magic and aid.' "So now you see! Tell me, does it burn to have one of your own betray you?"

"Can't you tell, Your Majesty? You have personal experience with it." The Betrayer hissed. "Of course, your's is going to end up a lot happier than Garfield Logan."

Chrysalis didn't let her emotion show. The Great Betrayer was truly a dangerous enemy. The Great Betrayer was trying to get Chrysalis to react emotionally, she remembered that mistake from last time.

"All traitors to the Hive are dealt with. Swiftly." Chrysalis stated. She laugh, deep in her throat. "He was a fool to betray the Hive, and a bigger fool to be captured by them! When my guard find your precious 'coltfriend', he will see what happens to those who betray the Hive!" Chrysalis taunted.

The changeling around her laughed.

But what really gave away the secret was when the Great Betrayer's eyes flashed blue. They were so small on that misshapen head, Chrysalis had missed it because her back was turned.