Chapter Twelve

Sorry this was late! College classes started up a month ago and I've been swamped!
==DMLC==

Twilight and I chased after the boys, determined. There was a small bit of pride when one of them looked back and saw the look of absolute murder in my eyes. Snips ran a lot faster after that.

We couldn't lose Cookie. She was going to be a part of the Stardust family. If anything happened to her, it would be my fault. Cookie was a small kitten, and Spike was a dragon. She wasn't ready for stuff like this. This wasn't what I wanted for her. Story, why was I so stupid as to leave her alone?!

While chasing the I felt a bit like a werewolf hunting down my prey, furious at the boys for touching what was a companion for my child. She was just a small kitten, and they put a hand over her muzzle?!

They thought they had made it home free when they met back up with Sunset. I stared the orange ex-unicorn down, absentmindedly noticing the natives followed behind Twilight and I.

Sunset smiled evilly at us, holding a sledgehammer above her head. "That's close enough!"

The others stopped, but I took another step forward. Sunset raised the hammer a little higher.

"Do it. I dare you." I challenged.

"Twilight!" Spike called out before the boys clamped a hand over his muzzle. The same for Cookie when she meowed.

Okay, I will admit, I let out a growl akin to a wolf when they did that. The ex-unicorn didn't flinch, but her lackies did.

"Don't hurt him!" Twilight warned.

"Harm one hair on her head, and I'll rip you to shreds!" I shouted.

Sunset stood in front of the statue with the hammer. She was still smiling like she had won. "Oh, I wouldn't dream of it. I'm not a monster, Twilight." She glanced back to the boys, but kept the hammer ready for smashing.  "Let them go."

The boys exchanged a look, then shrugged. The dog and cat were lowered to the ground, each running to their respective owner.

I hugged Cookie tightly to me when she jumped in my arms. My hand brushed down on her fur, adjusting her bow so it was back to perfect. In thanks, the kitten purred against me.

I don't know what I would've done if this cat had been hurt because of me. She was a part of the Stardust home now, I couldn't stand the idea of someone hurting her. Cookie had been a shelter pet, abandoned.

"You don't belong here." Sunset said, reminding us of the bigger problem. "Give me the crown, and you can go back to Equestria tonight. Or keep it and never go home."

Twilight gasped. I held Cookie closer to my shoulder, trying to think of a way to run at Sunset to get her to drop the hammer.

Sunset was giving her attention to Twilight anyway, it would be easy to slip past and grab the hammer. "Tick-tock, Twilight. We haven't got all night. The portal will be closing on its own in less than an hour." The three of us looked up at the moon, seeing the three stars close together. "So, what's your answer?"

Twilight lowered her crown, staring at it with shaky purple eyes. She turned to me, probably for assurance. I smiled, telling her I would stand by her no matter what decision she made.

The ex-alicorn took the courage to glare at Sunset. "No."

"What!?" The antagonist screeched. "Equestria! Your friends! Lost to you forever! Don't you see what I'm about to do to the portal?!" She shouted.

Twilight and I stood on our feet, still holding our animals close to us.

"Yes, but I've also seen what you've been able to do here without magic." Twilight said, sounding more bad ass by the second.