Chapter Nineteen: Percy

Hello everyone! IT'S PERCY TIME!!!!!! I've enjoyed writing this chapter so much and I'm actually quite proud of it! So please do vote and comment and generally be the awesome peopel that yoou always are! :D

Here it goes!

Percy

Darkness…

Pure, thick and inky darkness…

Falling…

Falling…

Forever…

Percy felt numb, like this was just a dream. Another messed up, demigod dream. He felt the air rushing up around him, the cold like daggers on his feverish and sweaty forehead. But it was like he was…disconnected. Everything was complicated and dark, so dark. Unconsciousness cloaked his mind, throwing a veil over his sluggish thoughts.

But he could still feel the sense of impending doom expanding with every breath, feeling that all too familiar dread that came with almost every demigod experience. A sickening, crawling feeling climbed up his hands and arms, like pins and needles except that this sensation also brought another wave of numbness; a cold, silent numbness unlike anything he had ever felt before.

Another wave of almost overwhelming emotion as the sensation of falling immediately triggered the memories that Percy wished he could forget.

Falling…

Falling…

Into the pit…

The voices…

Pointless. They had whispered, and a part of Percy had seen the truth of what they were saying. Life was pointless. What was the point of fighting enemy after enemy when you knew, deep inside, that one of them, someday, would win and take yours’, and the people you love, lives.

Pointless. Percy repeated numbly, in his head.

And that’s when he plunged into the water below.

Panic overtook him and he started spluttering, trying to spit out the water in his mouth. Bubbles swirled around him as he sank deeper and deeper.

No. He prayed, knowing that he couldn’t hold his breath any longer and the water would pour into his mouth and lungs and he would see black spots until they clouded his vision altogether and he would see no more and then…

Percy closed his eyes, trying to gather the courage to breathe in his element.

Fear controlled him. And Percy hated being controlled.

All through elementary school and even through until high school,  he had been labelled as a troublemaker. Everyone would talk about how he would swear at the teachers and defend the unpopular kids by beating up the bullies. Some would laugh and admire him; others would laugh at him and his stubbornness. But as far as Percy remembered, he had always twisted out the way of rules and anything to do with controlling him. It was an instinct; a pure, essential part of his life and personality. It was natural for him to avoid obeying the rules.

And as he sank deeper into the water, knowing that he would be able to inhale it safely, yet his fear was controlling him, telling him not, not to breathe deep and then slowly…