Chapter Seventy-Eight: Annabeth

Hii!

This update isn't late at all *cough cough*

Dedicated to @vvvthebooklover for commenting and stuff! Thank you!

Enjoy, even though this chapter's mostly a filler.

Annabeth

Things went wrong faster than Annabeth first anticipated.

Throughout the chaos of the giant's argument, she had managed to slip out of their sight, holding her breath as she passed through Mimas' reptilian legs.

Of course, the giants were oblivious to her escape. They may be huge egomaniacs with the ability to crush Annabeth into an olive-flavoured mush, but they weren't exactly the sharpest to say the least.

Annabeth surveyed the area from behind Mimas' left leg, desperately looking for a hiding place or at least something that would help her friends, but the majority of the battlefield was barren and scattered with sinister-looking crevices.

She glanced up just as Alcyoneus started shouting. So they had finally discovered her sudden disappearance.

Mimas' loincloth swung above her as the giant stepped forward. Annabeth shuddered with repulsion.

And then she had an idea.

Gods, help me. She prayed, swallowing back her nausea.

It's better than dying, her logic argued.

Annabeth couldn't disagree with that, but it didn't mean that she liked it.

She took a breath slowly through her mouth before carefully climbing up Mimas' leg, using the chunky calf muscles as leverage.

The giant shifted a little, but he didn't seem to notice the demigod climbing onto the back of his loincloth.

Annabeth grimaced at the smell and twisted her hands into the fabric and digging her feet lightly onto Mimas' buttocks, silently hoping that she wouldn't accidently pull the material off completely.

Her mind raced as she went through idea after idea, thinking of ways to save her friends. Her backpack was lying somewhere on the cobblestones from when she was tossed aside from Polybotes earlier, so that meant no cap of invisibility.

Suddenly, a feeling of fear and dread shot through her. Polybotes...Annabeth hadn't seen him since he'd knocked her aside and she'd blacked out. Come to think of it, she hadn't seen Percy since then.

Focus, her logic scolded.

"Seize him!" She heardAlcyoneus yell as she brought herself back to reality.

Annabeth jolted into action, leaping off Mimas' back and landing smoothly on cobblestones. She ignored the giant's grunt of surprise as she darted forward, passing through his legs once more.

And then froze as Piper landed on the ground with a painful, Oof! Her eyes were bright with tears as she lifted her head.

Annabeth swivelled her head to see Jason charging at Mimas, leaping a good seven metres at least, before landing right in front of the giant.

The son of Jupiter's gaze turned momentarily to Piper and then returned to Mimas. Annabeth swore she saw his body glowing, pulsing with bright yellow light.

Annabeth's mind raced and buzzed with questions. She understood that Jason was a powerful demigod, being a child of the Big Three, but she had never seen a child of Zeus do something like this.