*Chapter Twenty-Seven*

*Azura’s POV*

My head pounded like there was a hammer repeatedly pounding my skull. I felt like I was in my own world where someone had pressed the mute button. Blood was drained from my face, and I could hear the violent rushing on my own blood in my ear. This was too much. It simply couldn’t be true. That was right, this must be a lie concocted by my hallucinating brain.

A total and complete lie, I convinced myself.

“Lyorin, don’t you think it’s the time to tell her the truth?” Laire grinned, his sharp fangs protruded from his lips.

I turned to him, my eyes not betraying a single trace of emotion.

“I honestly -” he started.

“Is it true that you knew about my past but didn’t bother telling me?”

“Azura -” he pleaded.

“Yes or no?”

“I just found out about it.”

“Just?” I echoed, not really believing him.

“Don’t you recognize your own bite mark, Lyorin?” Laire added from the side.

What?

My head snapped to Lyorin, demanding for an answer. He placed his hands on either side of my shoulder and made me face him. My own hand reached up to my neck, over the mark I’ve had for as long as I had remembered. My eyes probed his for an answer.

“Give me a chance to explain,” he said and gazed intently into my icy blue eyes.

“I’m waiting,” I said rashly.

“It was pure luck that I chose you. No, let me rephrase it. It was pure luck that I managed to find you and decided to choose you. Yes, I was the one who left that mark on you, but my memory was erased. Your mother, the last Silvana, gave her everything just to save you. I was to find you later on and tell you about your true family.”

There were countless loopholes in his words, but I let it slide. For now that is. I could tell by the hesitant and cautious way he was telling me that there was a lot more to it than that. His eyes shot to the Father and Son behind him, and I got his meaning; he didn’t want them to overhear.

“You owe me more than this much of an explanation,” I said aloofly.

A small smile appeared on his face, and I saw the reassured look in his eyes.

“Definitely,” he promised.

A loud deliberate cough echoed around the room. Those yellow-pupils of Josephine penetrated into Damien’s light hazel ones. Anger was indisputably there.

I ripped my gaze away from Josephine and onto his father. I stepped forward, letting him switch his attention from Lyorin to me.

“You’re the one who killed her, right?”

He grinned, and his eyes twinkled warmly. If I didn’t know better, I could have easily misled myself into thinking that he was a warm, friendly old guy, and we’re casually talking about weathers.

“Yes,” his smile never wavered.

“You’re planning to kill her daughter too, aren’t you?” my eyes narrowed dangerously at him.

“Kill would be a strong word,” he said slowly but steadily. “I prefer the term ‘ridding the pureblood vampires a redundant family’.”

There was a sharp movement from the corner of my eye. I saw Kaiden inch closer to Josephine. Josephine turned back a second too late, and Kaiden successfully tackled him to the ground.