*Chapter Twenty-One*

My eyelids opened slowly, and I blinked against the semi-darkness. I could make out my own form lying on the cold ground. A droplet of water dripped onto my cheek, startling me. I looked up to see a sharp stalactite right above me. I wriggled my finger, and thankfully, I wasn’t paralyzed.

The fact that my entire body felt heavy as if an invisible force was restricting me from getting up told me that something was definitely wrong. I propped myself up using my elbows and froze when I heard the clatter of metal chains.

I looked down to see large metallic shackles around both my wrists. I followed the trail of metal chains to see that I was tethered to the wall behind me. The chain had a glossy look to it. I stood up. Gritting my teeth, I pulled it strongly in the hopes that it would give away. I let out a startled yelp as my body seemed like it was suddenly set on fire. I dropped to my knees to see the electric sparks around the chain.

I should’ve known it wasn’t just any normal chain. Another innovative creation developed by hunters that was now, ironically, used against a hunter.

I inched closer to the large vertical metal bars that separated me and the corridor. Tentatively, I brought my index to the metal bars. A small spark was set off, and my index throbbed from the shock. I guess there was no escaping.

Loud footsteps echoed on the empty corridor, and I felt myself shrink back into the darkness. I focused my gaze on the manacles on my wrist, and I felt a tall shadow fall over me.

“Not so cocky anymore, are we?”

The door swung open, and the figure entered.

“Cocky? Me?”

I raised my azure eyes to meet his yellow ones. If there was any expression on my face, it would be defiance. He narrowed his eyes at me and brought his ice-cold fingers under my chin. In a flash, my head snapped to a side. I refused to bring my hand up to my throbbing cheek. As composed as I could, I brought my gaze back to his as if nothing happened. He narrowed his eyes, and a growl appeared from his throat. He grabbed a handful of my hair and forced me closer to him. Our noses were inches apart.

“I will make you beg me for your life, Azura,” he told me coldly.

His hand caressed my cheek, stroking it. He smirked at me. I did the first thing that came to my mind. I turned my head sideways, and as hard as I could, I sank my fangs into the inside of wrist. He cried out in pain, but I refused to let go. Biting even harder, I felt a satisfying crack as my fangs pierced his bones.

He swore, and I felt a blinding pain shoot down my neck. I fell to the floor and felt his feet on my back. I bit my own lip to prevent myself from screaming out loud as several loud cracks resonated around the empty cell. Within matter of seconds, sweat covered my forehead and my pupils dilated. I felt someone pull him back, and the pressure on my spine disappeared.

“Enough! You’ll kill her.”

“A vampire won’t die with broken bones,” he snapped back.