*Chapter Eight*

*Chapter Eight*

The white, strappy dress swished around my knees whenever I walked, and I wished I could just rip the annoying thing off and change into something more comfortable. The long crystal earrings swished with each step I took. The maid had carefully brushed my hair and let it cascade naturally down my back, and my makeup was faultlessly done as well. I could feel the looks the servants and maids were sending me. Most of the looks were not nice. I guess they probably like Klyre a lot. Honestly, I couldn't care less. I've suffered a lot worse than this back then. Because of my different hair color, I've been teased non-stop and treated differently.

I hated dresses, especially when I had to wear stupid heels. I couldn't fight in dresses at all without ripping it or showing my underwear. Moreover, even walking was difficult in these ten inch high heels.

Lyorin walked by my side as we both reached a giant hall. The night was arriving, and the vampires were clearly getting restless. The door opened, and soft classic music drifted over to us. The light was dim, but I could make out every single faces there were in the room. As soon as we had entered, the music suddenly seemed muffled as if there was an invisible glass wall around me and a suffocating feeling overcame me. Almost every vampire in the room turned to stare at us. The silence was deafening. My steps faltered, but Lyorin ignored all of them and gently placed his hand around my waist. I tensed but let him steer me in the direction he wanted.

“Lyorin.”

Lyorin stopped walking, and I turned my head sideways to catch a glimpse of a man around one of two years older than me. He held a glass of crimson liquid, blood. His bright orange-colored hair was neatly combed, and his pupils were yellow and cat-like.

“Josephine,” Lyorin greeted with a slightly forced smile.

“It's been a while, hasn't it?” Josephine replied with a big smile. He then turned his attention to me. He gently took my hand and raised it to his lips.

“I am Josephine Dark,” he smiled warmly and raised my hand to his lips before placing a gentle kiss on it. “Enjoy your night, Lady Azura.”

I plastered on a smile in return. He winked at me and disappeared among the throngs of people. My smile slipped from my face when I noticed Lyorin's glare.

“What's wrong?”

He seemed startled that I had caught him. He shook his head and led me to where his families were. All the while, I could feel a particular gaze boring a hole in my back. Finally, unable to take it anymore, I turned around. My azure irises were met with a pair of navy ones. They bore into mine with multiple emotions laced into it. She blinked once, startled that I had caught her. A determined look crossed Klyre's eyes, and she made her way towards me with firm and steady steps.

“Lyorin,” her soft voice demanded his attention, “can I talk to Azura for a minute please?”

Lyorin was clearly about to say no. I stepped between him and Klyre and pleaded him with my eyes to let me talk to her. Reluctantly, Lyorin's hold on me loosened. I sent him a small smile and followed Klyre. She led us to a slightly less noisy place where it was far enough that Lyorin couldn't hear us.