*Chapter Twenty-Three*

I felt something invade my mind. Tentacles made its way through every inch of my mind, endeavoring to get past any crevices in the barrier and into my mind. I held my ground and refused its entry.

“The pain will be greater if you resist.”

Josephine’s voice was distinct and clear in my mind. I felt the barrier around my mind waver for a fraction. More tentacles entered my mind and wrapped themselves around my mind.

‘Don’t let it get in.’

That was easier said than done.

The pressure was killing me, and I almost considered just letting the tentacles in. An insignificant fissure formed on the barrier, yet it quickly grew in length. Immediately, I focused on the crack, stopping it from extending more. The damage was done.

“Claire, be quiet. The rogues are right outside.”

The six-year-old girl rocked back and forth and shut her eyes tightly and hoped that when she opens it once again, she would find all this to be a dream. The abandoned building we were in was old and decrepit. It could fall and kill all of us any time.

“Jake, don’t,” I warned him. “You won’t be able to take three of them at once.”

“Claire can’t fight, and Will is barely alive,” he said angrily, and his small ten-year-old fist tightened around the blade.

“I’ll -”

“Save it, Vampire. Only Jayce would trust a blood sucker like you.”

I cast my eyes downwards. My pale blue eyes was hidden from the curtain of hair that had fallen over them, providing my emotions a safe cover. It wasn’t the first I had heard that from a fellow hunter. Although it was nothing new, it still cut through me like knife. The pain hadn’t subsided even after the hundredth time I heard the same phrase being directed at me.

‘Focus.’

I snapped my attention back to present. I felt the tentacles grew in strength after having caught a glimpse to my past, and I immediately realized that the more memories that thing sees, the stronger it would get.

“You should know that you’re nothing like those weak creatures,” Josephine’s smug voice floated to me. “You belong to the night. You’re a true creature of the night.”

The crack intensified.

“It’s all your fault! Why do creatures like you have to exist?” Skye sobbed as angry tears flowed down her cheek.

“Skye, enough,” Jayce said soothingly, and her tiny fist attacked Jayce.