*Chapter Four*

*Chapter Four*

I pushed the door open and stepped in. I heard the sizzling of a frying pan and poked my head into the kitchen. Although the exterior was extremely dilapidated, the interior was fine apart from the stench of moss due to a leaking tube in the bathroom or...it could just be me and my vampire senses. Phaecy grabbed a bowl of egg yolk and poured them into the pan.

“Hey,” she chirped while humming softly, “did you see Damien or Jayce on your way here?”

“Nope, they both wouldn't be home until four. We still have around half an hour left before they reach here,” I answered and bounced my way over to the couch.

They all have a part time job during the day so I usually wandered about on my own. Phaecy finished her job early today so she was cooking.

“Azura, didn't I tell you to stay away from humans' sight?” Phaecy's voice drifted here from the kitchen.

“Huh? I did,” I replied half-heartedly with my eyes closed and my arm over my eyes to block the light away from my eyes. It was hard for me to concentrate in the with the sun still in the sky.

“Then tell me why there's a rumour going on about a silver-haired witch who seduces human males around this area.”

I choked.

After a lot of coughing, I finally could breathe again. Witch, seriously? True witches are annoying and pestering creatures who wave their wooden stick around as if it actually possessed magic. They have the most bizarre ingredients for their potions.

“Where did you hear that?” I scowled. “It could be a hoax for all you know.”

I try my best to stay away from human sight but occasionally, a few of them would still spot me. Jayce had suggested several times for me to dye my hair, but I refused. There was no way they would touch my hair. With a grimace, I realized that it was indeed true. Vampires are stubborn.

“Yes, I've reassured them that vampires don't exist, but those waitresses at the coffee shop I work in know all the latest rumours. You can't blame them since that place is notorious for gossip and rumours.”

“Fine, I'll be more careful,” I promised.

Just then, the door banged open. Jayce strode in along with Damien. They both wore casual clothes that made them look like complete teenagers - not some deranged humans who hunt for mythical beings.

“Careful, the house is old,” Phaecy said as she came out with a steaming plate. She tossed her Nyan cat - yes, that's right. Phaecy's a huge fan of a flying cat leaving a trail of rainbow - apron to a side and eyed the door precariously as if it would fall off anytime.

Muttering something along an agreement, both of them settled down. I turned my head out of the window pane and gazed silently out of the window. Soon, the sun would set, and night would befall.

“Did you fix my bow, Damien?” Phaecy asked and shoved a spoonful of rice into her mouth.

“Yeah,” he replied before taking a sip of coke, “it's on table over there.”

The chair was dragged softly over the rough tiles, and Phaecy went off to examine her weapon. Suddenly, my senses perked up. It was faint, but it was still there: the distinct scent of vampires.

“Jayce,” I stood up alarmed.

His gaze met mine, and at once, he knew what I meant.

“Where?” he asked curtly.

“Close to the church.”

All three of them were ready by the time I had finished my sentence. We raced out of the house and raced towards the direction I led.

“How many?” Damien asked.

“Seven by the church, and eleven by the building under construction.”

Damien swore behind me.

“How could you not have noticed eighteen vampires?” his voice raised slightly at the end.

“It wasn't my fault,” I defended myself.

I was just as shocked as Damien. I am constantly on my guard, yet such a large number of vampires had still escaped my senses. It was just not possible.

“Azura, head over to the church. We'll finish off the others since it'll be on the way.”

I nodded once and picked my speed. I didn't bother with taking a detour; instead, I leaped from the roof of one building to another. I hunched slightly just in case some humans decided to look out of their window at the roof of another building. The tiles clicked lightly as I passed over them. Within seconds, I caught the sight of the white building. My eyes scanned around the surrounding.

One...

Two...

Six in total outside the church. Four rogue and two normal vampires. They all looked perfectly human. I wouldn't have even guessed if I weren't able to sense the obvious vampire scent from them. I searched for the seventh one, but that vampire was nowhere in sight. One of them turned, and I seized my chance. Taking out a small dagger from the inner pocket of my coat, I sent it straight into the heart. He didn't even have the chance to cry out before he turned into ash. I leaped down and acted as if I was going to retrieve my weapon. A hand struck out, and I dodged swiftly. In return, I elbowed him in his gut and pierced his heart a second later. He screamed.

I looked around and noticed four vampires advancing on me. Calculating the distance, between the four of them, I rushed towards the middle. He was at least three times as big as me. I faked that I was going for his right. At the last moment, I jumped and twisted in the air. My knee made a sharp contact with his face. There was a crack and blood splashed out. I threw his body at the two vampires approaching from the right and decapitated the vampire to my left in a smooth arc with my blade. The two remaining vampire gazed at me with obvious trepidation written on their faces and scrambled back. I advanced on them slowly, and they shrank back.

“No! D-Don't kill me! I'll do a-anything!” he pleaded. Immeditately, I felt nothing but disgust. He was truly a disgrace to vampires. I decided to play along.

“Who sent you here?” I asked coldly.

“I c-can't t-tell - ”

I threw my dagger up in the air, and the blade glinted where it reflected the moonlight. I easily caught it again by the handle. His eyes widened more. He opened his mouth to speak, and I abruptly sensed someone behind me. I shifted my weight and a bolt of light zipped passed me, hitting the cowering vampire square in his chest and turning it into a pile of ash. The other one suffered the same fate moments later.

“What a shame,” the killer of the two vampires stepped out of the church. A pearly white hand reached up to the hood and pulled it down, revealing spiky blonde hair underneath. His jade eyes were passive and cold.

“Pureblood,” I breathed.

What was wrong with this town? It was an extremely remote and isolated town, yet two purebloods had appeared within a matter of twenty-four hours.

He chuckled lightly, and I immediately noticed a resemblance between him and some I've seen. I quickly shrugged it off because it wasn't uncommon to find two people alike when you have the kind of memory that can recall the exact date of the most trivial things.

“Hello to you too, Miss Hunter,” he smiled sweetly. “Allow me introduce myself, I'm Kaiden Evaldor,” he smiled. “Have you seen my brother?”

Looks like the similarity thing isn't just my imagination.