Chapter 5

Turns out my day did get better. It was mid morning well for me it was but for the rest of the house it was morning for them, when Macaulay waltzed into my room all happy.

“What’s up with you?” I asked confused

“Charla is coming over that’s what’s up”

Charla was grandmother’s personal assistant, and like a sister to Macaulay and myself. Charla has been grandmother’s PA since she was 19 and now she is 23 so she has been around, in that time she has finally found herself a great partner who happens to play cricket for England and has finally found a house with him.

Charla was a tall girl with long curly black hair that was always pinned up out of her face, and had a bubbly personality that’s why she got the job over the others that applied.

“I thought that she had time off, since grandmother is on leave while we are here?”

“Well you thought wrong little sister; don’t you remember that grandmother has her gala dinner in a couple of weeks? And Charla and grandmother are busy preparing it and it looks like she is coming over to go shopping to get outfits for us”

“Oh shoot I totally forgot, how long until she arrives?” I asked worried

“Um I think in about half an hour but you better be ready you know what she is like when someone runs late on anything”

Another thing I forgot to add Charla has OCD, she says it comes with her job and boy do I believe her, she has a tough job working for the Queen but takes it in she stride like it’s no hassle at all but really she is freaking out on the inside trying to get everything in order, making sure that meetings are booked and rehearsed.

To be honest I don’t think she has a break and if she does she is still on the job, but the whole family love her like she is their own so dad forces her to have a couple of weeks off around Christmas and new year because that is grandmothers quietest time. 

I quickly got up and changed into a pair of denim washed skinny jeans with a pair of boots and a plain white long sleeve shirt with a stylish black blazer on top with a floral scarf, before heading into the kitchen to see the rest of the family.

 As I got to the kitchen I was greeted by the whole family including Charla who wasn’t meant to be here until 10am and it was now 9am.

“Morning everyone, um Charla why are you here an hour earlier than planned?” I asked while pouring myself a cup of Milo.

“And hello to you too! Well I came early since I had to drop Kieran off at the airport since he is going away for a few days with the cricket guys for a break before they get back into the season, and I thought it would be good to leave early so we beat traffic and the rush.”

“How long are you planning on staying out for?” I said in a serious but joking way.

“Until we find you a dress and find him a suit” Charla said pointing her finger towards Macaulay.

“Whoa you mean I don’t need to come with you girls?” Macaulay said in an almost too happy voice.

“I can still arrange for you to come if you insist, I have always wanted a personal handbag for the day.”

“No no.........it’s ok..........I think dad wants me to help him out in the office today anyway, isn’t that right dad?” Macaulay said looking towards dad for a backup for his statement.

“Looks like I have no choice in the matter do I Macaulay” dad said looking serious at Macaulay.

“Ok so Macaulay you are not coming. Are you ready to go Rea?” Charla said getting to the point, by grabbing her bag and keys from the bench.

“I guess so, see you all later, that’s if I survive” I said sarcastically.

That granted a few laughs from everyone from the table and an intimidating look from Charla in the process, this should be a good day.

The ride to the shopping centre strip wasn’t that long due to the fact that we were blaring music the whole way there some songs included: MKTO god only knows, Jason Derulo Trumpets, One Republic and Taylor Swift. So after all that we managed to get there in no time.

 As I got out of the car I was greeted by a big gust of cold wind lucky I was wearing warm clothes since the weather here is unpredictable unlike home where it was always either dry and hot or cold and miserable.

“Where are we going first?” I asked Charla while trying to keep up with her. Did I mention that when Charla goes shopping she is on a mission and no one can stop her until she finds what she is looking for which can last for a while.

“And we are here” Charla said while walking into a fancy dress shop. I had to look twice as this shop looked amazing from the outside.

It didn’t take Charla long in finding both my dress and Macaulay’s suit in this fancy shop, which I was happy about. My dress was a long royal blue style with a beaded mid waist it looked stunning and was appropriate for the gala dinner. Macaulay’s suit was a simple black suit with a crisp white shirt.

We paid for the dress and suit and left to go find shoes and accessories for both myself and Macaulay. It didn’t take us long in finding the shop that had all that we needed. Finding shoes and a tie as well as cufflinks for Macaulay was easy as his shoes were black dress shoes and his tie was a royal blue and simple silver cufflinks. My shoes were a simple silver pair of short high heels that I could last in with silver with royal blue clutch and simple silver long hoop earrings.

By the time we finished there it was lunch time and trust me I needed it.

“Hey Charla when do you think we can stop for lunch?” I asked still looking around for a food shop.

“oh shoot I totally forgot about that, there is a food court not far up can you last till then?” Charla said looking worried.

“I guess I can but I don’t know how much longer I can last.”

“I’m really sorry Rea please hang on we are nearly there” Charla said grabbing my hand and pulling me along with her.

We arrived at the food court and went for the first shop there which was a salad bar, where Charla ordered two Caesar wraps with a bottle of water for herself and an orange juice for me.

“How are you feeling now Rea, you sure made me worried I thought you were going to pass out on me again.”

I have diabetes the type that involves insulin and trust me it sucks sometimes. I was diagnosed when I was 14 after I passed out after playing netball one Saturday; to say that it shocked my family was an understatement. Both mum and dad were surprised by the news after I was taken to hospital for tests, lucky that Uncle Joe was working that day and decided to give us the news himself. Uncle Joe is a GP Doctor so he usually is working and it was just lucky that he was on when I came in.

Since then I have to watch my blood sugar levels in case I go high or low and both can be pretty bad as I can pass out. And I did do that once when Charla, Macaulay and myself were shopping I wasn’t feeling well and was feeling dizzy, all of a sudden everything went black, I soon came around and was attended by ambulance officers who gave me some juice and fruit. It sure scared Charla as she hadn’t seen that happen to me luckily Macaulay knew what was going on and called an ambulance straight away.

“Im feeling better now that I have eaten and stopped” I said opening up my orange juice and taking a sip.

“That’s good I think we have had enough shopping for today and have got everything you guys need for the gala. So what do you say we head home and relax there?”

“Sounds like a plan”

We soon got up and grabbed our bags and headed towards the car and headed on home after a long day of shopping.

-----------------------------

vote

comment

please