Earth Girls Are Easy (Thor/Loki x reader)

"You've been staring at her for hours, my friend," Heimdall smirked, his golden eyes sparkling with the glowing image of you that played before him. "Why do you not go to her if this is giving you so much uneasiness? You love her, correct?"

"Of course," Thor replied quietly, "but not in the way that you believe. I love her as family, and it pains me to be so far from her. The events that have come to pass may have caused irreparable damage, and I may not find forgiveness there. I did what I had to do to protect her, Heimdall. He is not the one for her. In time, she will realize it as I do."

~~~

A few months earlier

Being the younger sister of Natasha Romanoff had both its perks and its downfalls, allowing you certain benefits such as meeting the world's mightiest heroes, and having one of them as your own personal protector. The downside to it all was that sometimes her protection wasn't warranted and she took it upon herself to interfere a bit too much. Ever since the battle of New York took out a sizeable portion of the city, including the building that housed your apartment, she was an ever-present part of your life. It wasn't that you didn't appreciate her concern, but now she may have gone too far. Yes, you were younger than she was, but you were still an adult; you had a child of your own to care for, and she was treating you as if you were hers.

"Tasha, this is the worst idea you've ever had," you argued, "we're not moving into the tower with you." She watched intently as you tossed each item into your suitcase, and you could feel her apprehension building even from across the room and without a word yet spoken.

"Why not?"

"Because I can find my own place. As much fun as its been staying with you here, you have to learn that I can take care of myself. We aren't in the Red Room any more, Tash, and you don't have to protect me."

"Okay," she replied, leaning back against the wall, crossing her arms tightly, "but then let me protect my niece."

"Because I can't?"

"I didn't say that."

"It was implied."

"Hmm," she muttered quietly, still watching your every move as she nibbled at her bottom lip nervously. Once your parents were gone, you were all she had, and her sense of responsibility to you only grew as each day passed. Once you had added a niece to her life, she was consumed with the need to keep you both safe and the fear of your loss was almost overwhelming. Then the battle took your home, and she vowed to never let you into harm's way again, leading her to ask Tony if he could make a living space for the two of you as well.

"We have a pool," she added softly, "and a descent library. I know how you love old books." She pushed away from the wall when she thought she picked up on a hesitance in your packing, slowly moving closer. "You'll never want for anything, because JARVIS gets groceries and supplies delivered every day. There's a great school only a few blocks away. And get this," she smirked, "Tony's putting in a dance studio for us."

"Tash, come on. You know that I haven't practiced in years. Once we got out of that dammed school, I left that part of me behind. I left all of it behind."

"I know you hated the fighting, but you loved dancing?"

"I did," you sighed, pushing your suitcase closed with a quick pull of the zipper, "but that's history."

Seeing the suitcase closed and ready to allow you to leave, her anxiety grew even more. She reached down and grabbed its handle, trying to pull it from your grip, only to find herself flipped onto her back with a sharp slap on the floor.