Igneel... (Natsu x Reader)

Ideas/Requested by: TurtleLover618

You came to a sudden halt as you saw Igneel have half of his torso torn off. You gasped and nearly turned away but the sight of Natsu froze you. He was still. As still as a statue. His mouth was agape and his eyes were wide open - with fear, shock and other negative emotions. 

Happy cried out when Achnologia finished off Igneel. The King of the Fire Dragons disappearing forever right in front of your eyes. 

It was slow but Igneel ignored it all - as much as he could. His expression changed when he saw Natsu's face. You had no idea what was happening, with Natsu's back to you, his expression was unknown to you. 

"Come Natsu, what do we do when we're sad?" Igneel asked. 

Natsu hesitated, and choked over his own words, "we stand up."

Igneel's expression turned to content, happy with who he had raised and how he had grown up.

You didn't want to interfere but there was nothing that you wanted to do more then to go and comfort Natsu. But your legs were like heavy rock and Natsu needed more time with his foster father. 

"I'll live for my friends, Igneel. For you who raised me and the people around me who made me. I've grown for them, and I'm not some kid anymore! I'll protect them all, Igneel. Watch me dad, and be proud of me." 

Igneel closed his eyes, his life was growing shorter by the second, "I've always been proud of you, Natsu." 

Then, he was gone. 

Natsu dropped to his knees and that sent you sprinting to him. Happy was close behind. You dropped to the floor beside him and held him as he wept. It was the least you could to, but to him, it was everything. 

"Y/N?" He whispered through his tears. 

"Yeah?" 

"Thank you," he said.

You didn't reply but kept stroking his hair. Then he started to get up. 

He wiped the tears from his eyes. His legs were shaking and there was a new fire in his eyes. He held his hand down to you and you took it quickly. 

"Let's protect Fairy Tail."