Chapter 23

She needed to get out of here. Find her husband. Tell him what just happened so he could take her to safety...

Belle turned her gaze near the door, where the full length mirror stood. She looked a mess. Her makeup ran down her face in streaks, her hair was out of place, her dress now had stains on it and was ruffled. And she most likely smelled of a drunken tramp.

She walked through the party and everyone around her stepped back, wrinkling their noses and staring down at her in disgust. Belle didn't care.

....Her breathing shook, and her vision was blurring yet again.

"Belle?! Sweetheart." Belle whirled around. Robert! He's here! Belle almost broke down again as she shimmied past all the dresses and suits and wrapped her arms around his waist, burrowing her head in his chest.

"Belle? Oh God," Robert said, sounding concerned. He lifted her head to face him and cupped her cheeks. "What--? What happened to you?! Where have you been?"

"Please," she begged softly. "Please Robert. Take me home. Please, just take me home."

________________________________________

The day has come. Saturday, February 14: the day of the Ball. Storybrooke's residents piled into the large community center's main auditorium room. They stared in awe at how beautifully decorated it was, with its stream of lights, polished floor, and perfectly arranged displays of roses on the tables. There was a chocolate fountain surrounded by candies, pastries, and treats at one end of the room. A band was just finished setting up on the stage. The place looked really elegant. Regina did a fantastic job organizing this. Robert pulled a chair out for his gorgeously made-up wife. Belle had gone back to Modern Fashions to have Selena do her makeup. Then she went ahead and got her hair done at the salon next door. She wore a golden figure flattering dress. The dress was full length designed with intricate folds. It shimmered and slit on one side to expose her leg. The belt and chest lining was jeweled. Her makeup was neutral and fresh with a bold lip, and her hair was curled up in an elegant updo. Belle looked absolutely stunning, more than any other woman in the room. At least, that was what Robert thought.

"Hey guys! Happy Valentine's day!"

"Emma!" Belle welcomed with a smile.

"Wow! Nice dress! Where'd you get it?" Emma said, over-gushing it.

Belle pretended not to notice. "I bought it online and had it fitted at the tailors."

"Oh man, I should've thought to do that."

"Oh, don't kid yourself! You look GREAT." And she did. Emma was just as stunning wearing a silver flowing dress. Her hair was loose and done in soft waves, making her look angelic. Belle could even tell Emma had lost some weight, but she didn't comment on it.

"Really beautiful," Robert agreed.

Emma smiled sweetly. "Aw thanks."

"Henry couldn't come huh?"

Emma shook her head. "No, unfortunately. But as they say, every action has its consequences."

Belle smiled, then looked around again. "And...Killian?"

Belle thought she saw Emma scrunch her face for a second before she laughed. "Oh...he's here. Around somewhere. Hey, where'd you get that?" Emma pointed at Belle's necklace. "Did Papa get you that?"

"Yes he did," Belle replied.

"It was for our anniversary," Robert clarified.

"Oh right, yeah I sent you a text. You guys got that right?"