Chapter 11

"This apple turnover is delicious," Belle muttered, her mouth half-full. Robert chuckled in agreement as he took another bite of his own.

The townspeople stood around the refreshments area chattering, eating, and sipping wine. The atmosphere was lively and much more relaxed than what had transpired earlier in the evening. Robert watched as Regina talked quietly with Emma, as if telling her something important. Regina gave her friend a pleading look, but Emma just shook her head and squeezed Regina's hands in reassurance. Then, Robert watched as Mr. Jones made his way over to the women and put his arm around Emma's shoulder. He sneered at Regina as he led Emma away. Regina stood behind, staring at the ground.

Robert sighed. Belle noticed his gaze and nodded toward Regina. "Come on," she said, holding Robert's hand. "Let's go see if our dear mayor needs comfort." Belle gave Robert a hopeful smile as they walked over to Regina.

Regina was running her hands through her voluminous shoulder length hair when she noticed the Golds approaching. "Hey, you two," she said, smiling weakly. "Sorry about this mess of a town meeting...It's usually not like this."

Robert raised a brow teasingly. "It isn't?"

Regina smiled, this time more sincerely. "Yeah, didn't think you'd believe that. Anyway, thank you so much Mr. Gold, for sticking up for me like that. I don't even know how to repay you--"

Robert quickly held up his hands. "No need Regina," he said. "I'm happy to do it any time."

"And you did so well handling them yourself anyway," Belle added. "They were so rude. Why are they even a part of this council? They certainly don't deserve it!"

Regina scoffed. "Yeah, I wonder the same thing. But there's nothing I can do about it." She looked away so they wouldn't see her eyes slightly watering out of frustration.

"What do you mean? You're the mayor, you can kick their ass out if you please," Robert said, jokingly and seriously at the same time.

Regina sniffed and laughed sarcastically. "I can't. They have to be here."

"But why?" Belle asked.

Regina sighed. "It's complicated. A few of these men had fathers and grandfathers who were important people. They helped run this town, along with my family, for generations. It would be offensive to fire them. They'd probably riot anyway." Robert thought he saw Regina's lip tremble a little. She scoffed again. "They're not used to a...'person' like me running this town. Before, it had only been..."

"Men," Belle finished, her face thoughtful.

Regina nodded. Robert frowned at that. It didn't seem fair. Robert always believed in progression, and not staying so far behind in the past. Things change and he knew that. He didn't always agree with everything the newer generations brought, but he tried to respect it as best he could. After all, it wasn't just his world, and as long as everyone was healthy and happy, what was the harm? But apparently, the people in this town were different, and they seemed content to stick by tradition, no matter who it hurt. Robert had heard this was one of the "charming" beauties of small towns.

"I still don't understand," Robert said. "So that sleaze..what's his name?" Robert snapped his fingers, trying to think of the name. "Keith! That's right. So is he one of them?"

Regina nodded, rolling her eyes. "His grandfather opened that damn Rabbit Hole. I find it a vile place but it gets really good business."

"Wait but what about Killian?" Belle piped in, glancing at Robert. "He told us he moved here about 2 years ago. He doesn't have any legacy here."

Regina swallowed uncomfortably. "Again, it's more complicated than that. Some of these people, they..." Regina let out a breath. "It's really nothing you guys. I'm sorry for even venting to you..."