Chapter 22 | Christmas Week Apart (Part 1)

“We’ve missed you sooo much, Ariel!” My mom squeezed me tightly. I didn’t even make it through the door yet!

“Me too mom, but uhh I’m kind of cold out here.”

“Oh, of course! I’m sorry baby.” She pulled me in just so I could be bombarded with hugs from my father, Eve, then… I saw Deandré in the living room.

“What’s he doing here?” I rolled my eyes as I peeled out of my jacket.

“That’s no way to treat the son I never had.” My dad said.

I muttered, “If you knew what your “son” did you would do the same…”

“What was that young lady? Don’t think that just because you’re with some famous group that you can mouth off to the people who raised you!”

“It’s cool Mr. T,” De gave him a reassuring smile.

My mom turned the attention by clapping her hands together, “Who wants something to eat?”

“Me!” I was eternally grateful to her. This week is going to be long.

Roc’s P.O.V:

“Is it just me or do you miss your girl too?” Ray placed his face in his palm.

“It’s not just you, bro. Ariel’s practically cross country right now.”

“And so is Nia.” He said gloomily.

Due to us living down the street from each other, I was chillin’ over Ray’s house. 3 days before Christmas. I finally have a girlfriend to share holidays with and where is she? In New Jersey. This sucks! Not that I’m blaming her for living there…Actually, yes, yes I do blame her.

There was a knock at Ray’s bedroom door, “May I enter Puff and Braids?”

“Har, har mom. Yeah, you can come in.”

Ray’s mom sashayed into his room, smiling, closing the door behind her. “Hey kids.”

“We’re technically not kids.” I pointed out.

She placed her hands on her hips, “Chrestano August,” Oooh government name, “As long as I’m basically your mother, you’re a kid.” She pulled up a chair in front of us [we were on the bed] and sat down.

The reason why Ray’s mom is practically my own, is because my mom was never really there for me. She passed away when I was two and when Ray was three. My father wasn’t too stable back then so I stayed with Ray’s family most of the day and slept at my own house. Now, my father is successful and back on his feet, but back then he was a tragic mess. Luckily we avoided courts so I wouldn’t have to leave my dad or my extended family. Even if our past is painful, I still love my dad.