Chapter 44: Death Doesn't Play The Rules

Look out for the <>!

To be honest, there was such an odd feeling being alone again. It had only been only three days but it felt like so much longer. I used to like this feeling of being alone but now I hated it. I was lonely and homeless. I was a ghost in the wind and I felt like any moment, I would blow away.

The only things I still had with me were my locket that my mother gave me and the clothes on my back, that were starting to smell. I thought about cashing in the money that my mum gave me but that meant I would have to go to the bank and that would set off alarms. 

This was not the life I planned on having when I died but it gave me incentive to get this mystery solved so I could return to normal life, or a kind of normal life. I wanted my life in Baker street.

I flipped through the pages of a book in front of me at the library. I stopped at a page as I read it in details. After three days in the library, I finally found something. Through my blood shot eyes and my lack of sleep stupor I had happened to stumble upon a list of German war refugees that made London their home. Not only did this list give names but it also gave small stories and photos about their lives. I smiled, I think I finally found the jackpot.

After I flipped through a few more pages, I stumbled upon a picture of a man with land deeds in his hands. Below the photo explained that this man owned loads of houses after he served in the war. His name was Klaus Dunner. It wasn't a German name but he could have changed it when he moved to London after the war. He came to London at the same time Aaron did. He lived only a couple blocks from Aaron and he was rich with houses. I took a photo of the page and sent it to Sherlock. This could be the man.

<>

This was the first time I had sent any form of communication to Sherlock since I had thrown myself into the water. I wondered if he was thinking about me just as much as I about him. I wondered if he would text me back soon because I really wanted to talk to him. 

Happy with what I had figured out, I decided to call it a night. I closed the book and started off on my marry way to find somewhere to sleep. Maybe McDonalds this night, I needed a shower at some point too, maybe I could sneak into a gym and use their showers. 

As I got out of the library, I saw red and blue lights flashing down the road. Without thinking about the consequences I walked down that same road, as the lights called me closer. I stopped across the road from the crime scene and saw Donvan with her sour face  looking at a body on the sidewalk. 

There were a few other people but someone I was surprised to see was Sherlock with John who was looking as clueless as ever. Sherlock looked at me for a brief second then touched his pocket as if telling me he got the message then looked back at the body, pretending that I was just a bystander he didn't care about. I had no idea why John was with Sherlock. Did Sherlock need someone there to annoy at all times? 

John looked up at me and we made eye contact. I looked at his blue eyes with a frown. I couldn't look away. I was a statue caught in his graze. I didn't know why I couldn't look away. Maybe it was because deep down, I wanted him to know I was here, alive. He looked over at Sherlock, trying to grab his attention, breaking eye contact freed me and I quickly started walking down the road again hoping that I didn't make a scene. 

<><>

"You shouldn't keep running into crime scenes like last night. John thinks he's losing his mind. He registered that you were Rori last night even with your pink hair. He wouldn't drop it all the way to the flat until I told him that I saw you dead body at the hospital and I didn't want to talk about it anymore," Sherlock said to me as we walked down an empty road the next day.