Chapter 34: Putting Me First

Look out for the <>!

"So what did you find?" I asked harshly to Sherlock as soon at I walked up to his table at the coffee shop that same day.

"Can't I just ask you here for coffee?" he asked as he took a sip of what I thought was tea.

I frowned at him. He never did that, ever. He wanted me here because there was something he wanted me to do. "No, now what do you want?" I said flatly looking at my watch that said it was  in the eight evening. I really wanted to be home by now, not go for coffee.

"There's going to be a man that walks into this coffee shop in the next five minutes, I want you to follow him out and take his wallet."

I should have known it was something like this. "Well as much as I like doing that kind of stuff, I would like to know why I'm doing it," I said as I looked round the almost empty coffee shop. There had to be more to the story then what he was telling me. Why couldn't he do it himself, he knew how to pick a pocket, I showed him.

"If I'm right this man will have some papers in his wallet that will pull me to where the real killer is. I thought it was this man but, I was mistaken. I now know this man is part of the same group."

"So a hit man?" He was asking me to pick pocket a hit man. That sounded stupid on so many levels. He would know what I was doing before I even started. Normally I stayed away from these kinds of people. They were dangerously smart and cunningly curl at the same time.  

"I'm pretty sure he's a harmless one," he added as if that gave me comfort.

I had met enough hit men to know that they were all dangerous. "And that makes it so much better," I retorted as a tall man with dark curly hair and a pair of bright red shoes came walking in with an air of confidence. The fit man looked about a couple years older than me. 

"That's him," Sherlock whispered to me.

I imminently took my eyes off him and looked down at the cheap plastic table that was in front of me. I wasn't going to fight him anymore on the subject, if he needed me to do this, I was going to do it. I heard the bell to the door ding again and I rose from my seat and said to Sherlock, "I'll see you back at the flat." With that I walked out of the coffee shop and followed this mystery hit man.

Outside the coffee shop, I saw a pair of bright red sneakers to my left and followed them. I had to speed up my pace, he was a fast walker. I got right behind him and made sure to just barely bump into him, in the process I reached into his pocket. As soon as I took his wallet out of his back pocket, he looked at me and grabbed my hand knowing that I just did.

"Now that wasn't smart kid," he said to me with a deep voice. "Give me back my wallet and I won't stab you right here and now." He put his hand on his hip, hinting that he had a knife.

I remained cool as I looked at him. If I didn't give it to him, he could stab me, but I couldn't drop this. Sherlock needed it for some reason, and I needed to help him. That's why we were partners. If I could move out of the way I could avoid getting stabbed. The way his body is positioned I could easily get out of his grasp.

I smiled at him sweetly. "I think I want to keep it." I twisted his arm around me and pushed up until I heard a pop. He let out a little groan as he pulled out his knife and tried to plunge it into my side. I dropped to the ground to avoid it then pulled his legs out from under him, causing him to hit the ground. 

"You need to work on your street fighting skills," I said and without waiting another second, I shot off running for home. I ran up the street but had this strange feeling like someone was following me. My feelings were normally right so I turned a small alley way then another to make sure no one was behind me.