Chapter 11: She's Gone

"What the hell was that about?" I shouted at Sherlock as we walked out of a home of a suspect in a case we were working on. The interview went terribly, and it was all because of Sherlock. She kicked us out for the way Sherlock acted and if I was in her shoes, I would have too. He had no sympathy for anyone and if he had sympathy, he chose not to show it. It bothered me he had no people skills. "She will probably never talk to us again."

Christmas was long and past. New Years went by and it was uneventful. I didn't even stay up till midnight. It was now the first month of the new year and there were murders to solve. Our list was overflowing with cases and we would be booked all week long.

Since the Christmas party, I had heard no word from Zane, and my fear had shrunk. I knew Zane, and he was not one for waiting around, if he hadn't attacked by now, he wasn't going to.

"That's fine. I got what I needed from her. And you know you did too. That box, you've seen something like that before," he said as he pulled out his phone to send a message to someone.

He was right, but I didn't want to tell him that. I had seen a box like that before because I had one like that. I used to hold money and personal items in it. It was a gift from black market dealer I worked for but it had to be over a year since I saw that box. That box was lost, like most of my other things.

Before I could deny it, Sherlock spoke up. "Come on Anderson, as much as you want to deny it, you were white collar. Of course you had a little trinket box you kept little things you stole off of people."

I felt anger flare through me. He would never see me more than just a white collar thief. "What are you saying Holmes? That she is a white collar thief just like me?" I snapped at him and stopped in mid walk. "You think you know everything about white-collar people, but everyone of those people are different and has a reason for doing what they did. You think you know everything about me, but you are wrong. You will never know me. I can't stand you, Sherlock."

I stood there in silence for a minute, waiting for what he would say back to me, but he stayed quiet. Instead, he turned around from me and started walking again. I was going to explode at him. I was expecting a fight, but I would not get it from him. "Fine! Be that way! I'm taking the Tube! Don't wait up!"

After I shouted, he spoke up in his deep voice he asked, "Then why did you do it?" For the first time since I had stayed with him, he asked me a personal question, not like a question that he already knew that answer to, but something that he really didn't know. He turned to face me again and I could see in his eyes that he wanted to understand, but I wasn't sure if I was ready to tell. There were a lot of motives for me doing what I did in the past, but mainly it was because I needed to live. It was a way of getting money and I was good at it.

I glanced the ground after he said that to hide my face. "I'm going to take the Tube," I said quickly and ran off the other way.

It had been a long day, and I was worn out especially to have these long emotional conversations. We started before the sun was even up and now the sun was almost gone behind the horizon. There weren't many people out now and if they were, they were at the pubs drinking the night away. I liked the quiet that the night gave, it was relaxing.

I heard something behind me and looked back quickly to see one over sized man and one little woman walking hand in hand, laughing loudly as they watch a store merchant run after some red apples rolling down the other way. I made a face at them. Why did people have to be so rude all the time?

I walked down the same road for another couple minutes more than took another turn down a deserted road. I knew this area like the back of my hand. There was a shortcut to the nearest tube and quicken my pace. I wanted to be home before Holmes since I didn't want to face him when I walked in. I didn't want him to ask any more questions about myself, I just wanted peace.