Chapter 22: Out For Drinks

Keep your eyes out for the <>!

I woke up early again a couple of days later. With a heavy heart, I changed into a little black dress that I got at a shop yesterday in town. Today was the day that I came here for. I was dreading it to be honest. I wish I could skip this day or even run away all together. But I knew I had to see her and say goodbye for the last time.

I walked into the kitchen and saw that Walter and Ameila were already dressed in black. They were both sitting at the kitchen table whispering about, for what I could hear, me.

"Morning," I said as I walked in, signaling to them I was here and could hear them.

"Oh, morning. We thought you were asleep still," Walter said as he blushed, knowing I caught him red-handed.

I shook my head and said, "can't."

"How do you feel?" Ameila asked with a frown.

I felt terrible, but, being here going to this funeral was like it was taking some weight off my chest. Now, I didn't have to worry about how my Nan was doing, or if I wrote her, or if she was getting enough money. I knew that where ever she was; she would be fine. I was now free from anything that could tie me down. However, did I really want that? The void I felt without her here was painful. I wasn't sure if I would be able to fully cope with the loss. I felt like a rag that had been hung out to dry, flying around in the wind. "Don't know."

"Well, we don't have to leave for another hour, so you can do what you want. We'll give space," Walter said.

I nodded, always the thoughtful one out of the bunch he was. I hope Ameila knew what she had. There were few people in the world like Walter, she was lucky. "Thank you."

The rest of the day went by in a blur until I looked at the newly buried grave sight of my Nan. I stood there for a minute staring at it, holding back every emotion that was in me. When I looked around and saw that I was finally alone, I then gave up and let tears fall. I couldn't believe I wasn't there in her last minutes. I felt like a terrible granddaughter for not being there for her.

"You look cute when you cry like that. It's like you're actually vulnerable." A woman said from behind me.

In a second I stopped crying turned to face her. She had short blonde hair and green eyes, she was dressed in a short tight black dress like she was here for the funeral too.

"Who are you?" I said as I wiped my nose, trying to regain myself.

"Someone that cares to know where you go," she said with a tone of boredom to her voice as she picked her nails.

"Why?" I asked, fearing that Scotland Yard hired her to bring me back to London.

"Because your unique Rori and I want to add you to my collection of white-collar criminals."

I shook my head. No, there was a reason no one stayed with me, I was not a team person. "I'm not interested." I brushed her off, not even thinking about how she found me.

"Mmm, Kale said you would do this," she said and smiled, waiting for my reaction.

It was like she knew me so well. The sound of his name felt like a punch to the stomach. Here out of all days, she comes to find me, and taunt me? She had no right. "Where is he?"

"I don't know. I would tell you if I knew, but I think he ran off," she said, flaunting another smile at me. She was teasing me. This was the group Kale was running from and now I had her right in front of me.

"I'm not going to join your 'team'," I said firmly as I walked away, not willing to throw the first punch at the cemetery. I was too emotionally drained to deal with this, but that was why she was here. She already knew that this would be when I was at the weakest.