Chapter 10: Merry Christmas

"You know the Christmas party is tomorrow Holmes," I said to him one afternoon as was I used his computer, trying to find a dress to wear for the event. Tell you the truth, I was looking forward to it, even if I could only go if Sherlock came. I hadn't had practice in a party setting in a long time. People always were so fake at these things and it gave me a chance to be fake as well without people caring.

"I'm not going," he said as he dug in the fridge to get something to eat.

"And why not?" No Sherlock meant no party.

"I don't like parties. People are just there to impress others. You have to dress up and that's something that I rather not do. Why do you want to go anyhow, do you pick pocket the guests?"

I shot a look at him. "No! Why do you always assume I'm up to no good?" I shouted at him as I resisted the urge to slap him.

"Because I can see it in your eyes, you miss it."

"Why can't you just shut it? I like the Christmas season and I thought I would give this party a chance," I said something truthfully to him for the first time ever.

He looked at me confused for a minute, not expecting my response, then asked, "Why?"

I shut my mouth. I wasn't expecting him to ask me why. He never asked me why I did things. "I like the snow and the music and the people," I lied so easily that I almost would believe it myself if I didn't know me better.

"That's not all though."

I frowned. He always saw through me. "Why can't it be?" I didn't want to dive into my terrible relationship with my mum to anyone, let alone him. I didn't want to tell him that this was the only positive time I remembered my mum because he wouldn't understand and I don't think he would ever understand me. Why would I let him in when clearly he put me behind bars unjustly?

"Because I know you and that just can't be it. You're Rori Anderson, the infamous girl that no one knows anything about."

I frowned at him. "Your right, that's not the only reason I love Christmas but I will not tell you. You, out of everyone, should know that." I said and got up from my seat. "I picked out my dress, I'm going to pick it up at the mall. I suggest you get something in order as well." In reality I didn't find a dress, but I wanted away from him.

"Can you pick up some more nicotine patches?"

<>

"Pick them up yourself!" I called out to him and walked down the stairs to see Miss Hudson putting up last minute Christmas decorations. "They look lovely, Miss Hudson."

"You think so?"

"I really do."

"Do you want to help?"

I was tired of fighting the Christmas spirit. It was almost Christmas, and I wanted to feel the true season of Christmas. "I would love to help." I walked over to an old cardboard box and got a glass ornament out to hang on the Christmas tree. "I love Christmas."

"For whatever reason, Sherlock doesn't like this season," she sighed as she put up some garland on the pine tree.

I didn't reply. Sherlock and I never talked about family or life before us. He didn't understand me, but then again I didn't understand him. I was just as at fault as he was.

I picked up an old doll ornament and looked at it. It was porcelain girl with black hair and dark green eyes with red rosy cheeks. She was beautiful.

"Ah I see you found Irene," Miss Hudson said as she walked up to me.

"Irene who?"

"My goodness child, Irene Adler, the one person Sherlock ever seemed to love."