chapter 42 - Date night

I looked down at my black bathing suit and let out an annoyed groan. Why did Lola have to buy me such a revealing bikini? And black? Was that really necessary? Its not like I can't not wear it. She bought me it, so now I feel pressured into it.

"Grace?" Ashton asked quietly through the door.

"Don't come in" I muttered, "I look hideous" I stated.

"C'mon," He chuckled, "It's not like I haven't seen it all before." I could practcally hear the smirk on his lips as he said it. I rolled my eyes and opened the door, only because I really didn't have a come back for him, and I really needed some reassurance, "You look really hot" He stated, "Like...Sexy. Infact, I don't want you wearing it"

"Why?" I frowned.

"I don't want my mates drooling over my girl! especially now that they don't know we're back together" He mumbled, wrapping his tanned arms around my waist. 

"But look at all my scars" I mumbled, poking the pinky purple marks all over my body. He sighed and kissed my ear.

"You aren't being pressured into wearing it, you know" He whispered, "But everyone going knows your story, baby they aren't going to judge"

I sighed and nodded. He was right. But that didn't stop me from being any less insecure, "Can I wear that black singlet you have?" I asked him.

"It's at home, but I think Luke has one similar. Ask him" He smiled.

I nodded, "Okay" I said quietly. He let out a deep breathe and sat down on the toilet seat. I grabbed my shirt and slipped it over the black bikini, then slipped on my shorts. I quickly fixed my hair then both Ashton and I walked out of the bathroom, only to run into Michael.

"Uh" Michael mumbled, his eyebrow knotting together in confusion.

I looked up at Ashton who looked back down at me with panic, "I was helping her...Uh...Dress -I mean..Um..."

Michaels eyebrows raised, "He was helping me tie up my straps," I said quicky, pointing to the black string behind my neck, "Yeah they had a really tight knott and I um..I couldn't undo it" I explained.

"Right," He smirked, "Sure" He chuckled

"Where's Luke?" I asked, wincing at how stupid my excuse sounded. 

Michael scratched his head then pointed down the hall, "Kitchen" He mumbled before slipping past us and into Lukes room.

I looked at Ashton who shrugged and started walking down towards the kitchen. I followed and was soon faced with Luke and Calum, "Hey Luke," I started, "Do you have a singlet I can wear to the beach?"

He stopped drinking out of the milk bottle and burped, before nodding.

Disgusting.

"Yeah here" He stated, chucking me the one on his back. It smelt like boy and man mixed together, and I almost gagged.

"Use some deoderant, dude" I told him, scrunching my nose up in disgust. He chuckled and rolled his eyes before going over to the folded clothes on the table. Before I could comprehend what was happening, a white singlet was getting flung at my face, and it landed on my head.

"Thanks," I mumbled, rolling my eyes. I threw his smelly singlet back then put the white one over my shoulder.

----------------------------------------------

When we all got to the beach, Jordan was already there with Chase and her -our parents. Were they my parents now? I mean legally, yes, but does that mean I start calling them mum and dad? I don't know if I'm ready for that.

"You okay?" Ashton asked, walking up beside me. He slowly put a hand on my back, trying to be subtle about it. We both looked out into the scenery as if we were just having a short, unfriendly conversation, but obviously that was a lie.

"Yeah" I smiled, "first one to the water is a rotten egg!" I screamed suddenly, my legs automatically moving as fast as they can towards the salty wetness.

"You can't get away that easily!" He giggled loudly, running up behind me and twirling me around. He tripped over a wave and we both went crashing into the slightly warm water.

"You made me wet!" I whined

"Oh?" He smirked, "We can get out of here if you want"

I splashed the water quickly in his face and stood up, "You think you're original" I stated, poking my tongue out, "But you're not"

"Aw babe," He snickered, "You're the one that said it. I was just going by your words" He shrugged, still smirking.

I stood up and waved over to Stella, deciding it was too much effort to go over and say hey. She waved back at me, then tapped Jordan on the leg, who was in a pink bikini, her blonde hair in a bun on the top of her head and a pair of sunnies on her eyes. She sat up and waved at me.

"Do you think she'll say yes if I ask her to be my girlfriend?" Luke asked suddenly. I jumped in fright and pushed him into the water, but immediately felt guilty and helped him up.

"When did you get here?" I glared, "don't just walk up on me like that!"

"Sorry," He laughed.

"Wait you and her aren't official yet?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Well we've been going out and stuff but we haven't really...Yano...Said we're in a relationship or whatever"

"Ask her, dick head" I muttered, "It's been like a month, she's waiting for you. I know she likes you"

"Then why hasn't she asked me to be her boyfriend?"

My eyes widened in disbelief then I scoffed,"Because she's the girl? Look, I know I don't know much about that sort of thing, but I know that the boy always makes the first move" I stated.

"You think?"

"Yes -look she's coming over! Ask her now!" I squealed excitedly.

"Now?"

"Yes! Now!"

"Okay okay" He muttered, slowly walking over to her. She smiled at him then continued into the water until it got to her knees. I watched as he scratched his neck nervously then he started talking.

"Hey uh..I need to um..-" I couldn't here what he was saying because the next thing I knew, I was tackled and shoved under water. I gasped and looked at the culprit through my dripping hair, ready to pounce.

"Woops?" Ashton grinned

"Ashton!" I laughed, "I was trying to-"

"Eavesdrop"

"No" I stated

"Liar" He smirked. I rolled my eyes and turned around to see what Luke was doing now, and I grinned when I saw him making out with Jordan.

Finally.

"Give me a piggyback ride" I stated, turning to him.

"What am I? Your bitch?"

"That's exactly what you are" I grinned. He laughed and bent down so I could jump on him.

----------------------------------------------

Later that day, I had an amazing tan, gross feeling hair and red eyes from all the salt. None of the others were much different, but I felt extra nervous, considering I was meeting Ashton's mum in less than 3 hours.

We were on our way home, and Jordan hadn't stopped blabbering on to me about how perfect Luke was. I was happy for them -I truly was, but I just couldn't listen. So many things were going through my mind. Do I wear casual or formal? Do I greet his mum as Mrs Irwin? What happens if she asked how long we've been together? Will my age put her off? What if she asks how we met? My life story?

"Grace?" Jordan poked my leg.

"Hm?"

"Did you hear me? What are you wearing tonight" She asked. So, it turns out Stella told Jordan about me going out with Ashton, but she doesn't know we're dating again. She just thinks it's some sort of make up dinner thing.

I let out a shakey breath a shrugged, "No idea" I mumbled.

"Where's he taking you?" She tried again

"No clue"

"Did he give you anything to go on?"

"No" I told her.

"Text him" She sighed, "You can't rock up in a fancy ass dress when he's taking you to a dog fight" She muttered, "It's happened to me before. 100% would not recommend"

I laughed before pulling out my phone.

Hey, so what exactly what do I wear tonight? X

Almost immediately I got a reply

Wear a nice dress, or tights or something idk something pretty though. Love you x

I read over the text about ten times before I sighed and put my phone back in my pocket. The dress code was okay. It means he wasn't taking me somewhere too fancy, but not too casual either. I rubbed my hands on my bare legs. There the words were again. Love you. He was stil expecting me to say them, and I want to, but I can't.

When we got home, I almost immediately walked up to my bedroom to have a shower. Most of my clothes were band T-shirts and jeans, but I knew that wasn't acceptable to wear to meet Ashton's family.

There was one dress I bought a while ago, that I've never worn in my life, but I suppose it'd be alright to wear tonight, right?

After my shower, I pulled it off its hanger and laid it out on my bed, then continued to get ready.

Today, Grace, is where you bring out your inner...Girl.

----------------------------------------------

I sighed in happiness as I looked at my appearance through the mirror. I was wearing the black dress, with a pair of black VANS -Considering I didn't have any others- And my hair was hanging loosely around my shoulders, a black beanie sitting ontop.

It was 7 and Ashton was waiting downstairs with Jason. I felt bad for making him wait, but I guess it's better than looking like shit.

I grabbed my bag off the bed then quickly walked down the stairs, stopping when I spotted Ashton and Jason in the kitchen having a beer. Jason was laughing at something Ashton said, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Oh hey!" He smiled, "You ready to go?" He asked. I nodded and shyly walked over to him, "Thanks for the beer man, we should do it again sometime" Ashton nodded towards Jason, who nodded. 

"Remember, Eleven is the curfew. Have fun children" He smirked before walking away.

Ashton took hold of my hand and we both walked out  the door, "Wait!" He gasped.

"What?" I asked frantically.

"You look beautiful" He grinned cheekily. I shoved him playfully and walked towards his car.

"Don't do that! I've got enough nerves thank you!"

"I'm serious though" He commented, "You look amazing," He grinned grabbing my arm and pulling me into him. I smiled up at him, "Can I kiss you?" He asked softly. I nodded and leaned just a few centimetres closer so our lips were pressed together.

The lights on the veranda flickered on and off, making me laugh, "Okay Jason, we're going!" I yelled, smiling.

Ashton chuckled and entwined our fingers, "Tonight is your night, Gracie, No one else's"

I wasn't sure how to answer that, so I didn't. Instead I hopped in the passengers seat, which Ashton opened for me, and put on my seat belt. I felt slightly better knowing Ashton was with me, but it still feels like there's a zoo in my stomach.