Chapter one - I'm Grace, you are?

I rolled my eyes as another business man walked through the doors of this building and glared at me, obviously disgusted in the fact that I was a homeless teenager..Or maybe just because i was a teenager. Who knows, who cares?

"Miss Jones?' The familiar well dressed man grinned. He had an english accent, but I wasn't fazed. I've seen and met with his man four times before. Each, waiting to be sent to a new home. Huh, I never realised how abnormal that sounds until now.

"yes?" I try to sound polite, but it comes out forced. Hey, It wasn't my fault my mum didn't want me, and my dad died while getting drunk at a local bar in Melbourne. I didn't ask to be born. 

"Your..family is on their way" He smiled sympethetically at me. I smiled back, pretending it didn't hurt that this was the fifth time he's said that in four years. To be completely honest, this sucked. I wish that I was a happy, normal teenager living her life with her sexy boyfriend and perfect features. Unfortunately for me, none of that was real. 

"Thanks" I mumble, picking up my bags and tucking Harriet, my stuffed monkey under my armpit. Harriet was my grandmothers stuffed monkey. She's had it since she was a child. I remember the first I got it actually.

It was oncw when I was six years old. I went into my mothers room, wondering when she was going to feed me again, but she was unconsious on her bed. She had big bags under her eyes and vomitt was drooling out of her mouth. I remember seeing the pills all over the floor and the needle sitting next to her arm. I didn't know what they were when I was six years old, I just just assumed they were lollies.

Anyway, I saw the monkey sitting on the broken dutchess and decided I wanted to keep it. When I pulled it down, a few pills fell out of the ripped leg and whimpered. I didn't know what they were, so I crawled onto my mothers bed, making sure not to fall into the gross pee stains or puke. I shook her awake, and when she saw the monkey, she slapped me across the face. 

"Don't touch things that aren't yours!" She hissed. I remember the tears bubbling up in my eyes when she grabbed the pills out and shoved the monkey into my chest "Have it you inconsiderate bitch!

I ran out after that and sticky taped the leg back together. I kept it because on that very same leg it had 

Eliza Grace Jones 1924 

That was my grandmothers name. It was hers, and I couldn't bring myself to chuck it out. My grandmother did nothing wrong. If it wasn't for the bowel cancer she got two years before I was born, I would be living with her right now. I wish I met her. 

Later in life, during year eight, I sewed the leg back on officially, and got 1994 added on to writing. 

I put all my bags and things in a massive bundle by my feet, making it easier for me to pick up when whoever I was living with picked me up. I cuddled into Harriet and glared at the lady who narrowed her eyes at me as she walked past.

I don't know why they were glaring at me, I mean, they work on the next floor. It's not like they had to sit here and watch me. They weren't even part of the whole foster care thing. People can be so rude. I don't understand. It wasn't like I was wearing a paper bag. I've never lived on the streets. Even if it was a shack in the middle of the ghetto, I still had a matress to sleep on, and food to eat every couple of days. 

That's probably why I was taken away. 

I rested my head against the wall as I waited. I've been here since seven this morning when Kelly, my previous foster parent dropped me off. Apparently she wanted to move to Europe, but her and I both know she just wanted me to leave. I get it though. I was too hard to deal with..I mean, the constant hospital trips at two in the morning? and the heart ache as she sat there and watched me lie there unconsious because I had cut too deep, or taken too many pills trying to kill my insides. 

I got it.

I don't expect to stay at this place any longer than I did at Kelly's. Although she actually took it better than Mrs Skibby, the elderly lady who took me in the first time. I was only there for a month. After the first hospital trip, I heard her book the appointment to drop me off at this horrible place again. 

I didn't like her anyway, she didn't even let me use her first name. What a bitch. 

I watched as a casual looking lady toppled into the fancy building. I chuckled when she glared at the door and muttered "Baddoor" then continued over to the desk infront.

I strained my ears to hear what she was saying, but when John, the familiar looking well dressed man stood infront of me, I lost her.

"They're here" He grinned at me. I chuckled and shook my head. He looked like a big kid when he grinned. 

"Thanks Johnny" I smiled, patting him on the arm before picking up my bags and making sure Harriet was with me. It didn't really matter if I forgot anything else. Just not Harriet. 

He rolled his eyes "Just because i've known you for four years, and you're pretty special, doesn't mean you can give me a nickname" He chuckled, ruffling my hair. Sometimes I wished I could just live with him. He's friendly, and is actually one of the very rare species that care for me. They're usually called weird. 

"Well, Johnny, too bad" I smirked "so, Who's the lucky person?" I asked him.

"Grace, say hello to Stella. She will be your new foster mum" John smiled, stepping aside and motioning to the lady who stumbled into the building earlier. Well, at least she didn't seem like a classy or mean person. I could get used to this. She seemed okay. 

Stella looked over to me and grinned, then walked over to me and John "Hi! You must be Grace" She smiled, pulling me into a hug "I'm Stella" She told me "Wait, you're Grace right?" She says quickly. I laughed and nodded.

"hey" I chuckled. No ones ever hugged me before. Usually I would just get a friendly smile.

"Sorry I was late" She sighed "The flight here was delayed an hour" She muttered "And traffic was terrible! The bloody taxi driver charged me forty bucks, just from the airport to here! In Sydney it would only be thirty five" She rambled. I was smiling at her until she mentioned Sydney. I went cold and couldn't feel the tips of my fingers. Was it really cold in here?

Sydney?

"Um, sorry" I chuckled nervously "Did you say Sydney?" I asked, hugging Harriet closer to my chest. Please say she meant Kidney or something. I really don't want to move to Sydney. 

"Yes, that's where we will be living" She smiled. Damn life and everything in it. "We catch a flight in half an hour!" She gasps "Well, I better sign these papers" She laughs. I fake laugh with her.

This was not okay.

Sydney, as in where 5 seconds of summer live.

Where Ashton lives.

It's official. My life sucks.

-

"So" Stella smiles "Excited?" She asks. I looked up from my current book and smiled. Be nice Grace. She's giving you a home.

"Yeah" I say "Pumped actually" That was sarcasm in my head, but of course I wasn't going to make it sound like sarcasm when it came out of my mouth. I needed to be nice to her. She was infact my mother more the next couple of months. 

Only two more years of this family changing thing. Only two. 

"I can't wait for you to meet my family" She grins. I looked at her in confusion. They actually gave me to someone with a family? Maybe they thought it would be good for me. Ha, what a joke. It's probably just going to make things worse. Especially if theres children. 

"Family?" I ask

"Yep, I have a daughter your age, a son two years younger than you and my husband" She says "They're all excited to meet you" Atleast they weren't kids.

"Yay" I mumble. I hope her daughter is nice, or weird. Either one would be great.

"don't worry" She chuckled, fixing her aircon on the roof of the plane "They aren't that bad"

One can only hope. I'm not good with people.