Being A Girl Sucks

Being A Girl Sucks.

"What about this one?" Sam held up a very bright pink off the shoulder top, that had the word 'move' scribbled on its front.

"Not really something you would wear to meet the parents." I said calmly although my inner subconscious was shrieking 'No!' repeatedly whilst rocking back and forth.

She pursed her lips with thought then nodded in agreement, we walked around the store as she picked up random prices of clothing for me to inspect. Jack was at home, packing since he left in four days and I had organised to go visit him but Sam called asking for some 'girl time.'

It had been the first time Sam and I had been out without our boyfriends attending, and I wish I could say it felt like old times. It just felt awkward, and staged. Sam obviously didn't have a problem slipping back into her role of the best friend and just spoke merrily about Luda, and cheerleading, and other Sam related things.

I then thought I was putting enough effort intro forgiving her, or trying to be friends again. So I sucked up my thoughts and focused on actually listening to her.

This was proving harder than it used to be considering she never let me get a word in.

We passed the toy section and she glanced over, smiling, "Do you want to get a little stuffed toy?" Even though I was a bit tense and sad that the whole day was about her, the notion warmed me immediately because she had remembered.

I nodded eagerly and we walked down the aisle to the big wall of toys that sat before me. As I searched through the perfect one, she asked curiously, "So what's Jack up to these days?"

This was the part I should have said something else.

But instead, what came out was something that stirred the metaphorical pot of unresolved issues between us.

"Between packing and planning, not much."

"Packing? Is he going somewhere?"

I was to absorbed in finding the perfect little furry companion to recognise the smug tone in her voice.

"Yeah, he's heading back to Canada for the holidays. Maybe longer."

"Oh, that's nice. I bet he's excited."

"Yeah, I guess."

That was the part where I should have changed the subject.

"I bet your excited too, with Jack not being around you can finally get some peace" Her words did make a small frown appear on my face as I searched slowly for a stuffed toy whilst replying.

"What does that mean?"

"No offence to him but he's a little clingy. Touchy too... I'm just saying, with him gone, things can finally go back to normal." She shrugged, looking at a little my little pony toy. My frown deepened, as I thought over her words 'back to normal'.

First of all, I didn't think Jack was clingy at all, and I thought touchy was a good thing in a relationship. My few relationships beforehand told me that passion was good and Jack had passion.

And what did she mean by 'back to normal?'

Back to me being a third wheel, back to us talking about her 88% of the time, back to me being a shoulder to cry on but her shoulder was off limits?

Maybe not.

"What do you mean back to normal?"

"Oh you know, just us two. No stupid fights, no drama. It's all Jack's fault that we even began fighting in the first place," She laughed breezily and I turned around slowly, forgetting all about my quest for the stuffed toy.