1.9

{Song for this chapter; If You Can't Hang - Sleeping With Sirens}

• Emilia's pov •

I parked the car on the curb, flinging open the car door and running out onto the sidewalk. "Em, what are you doing?!" Mandy shouted from her window. I ignored her question, continuing on to follow Craig. "You're going to get caught!"

He suddenly stopped, turning around slowly to face me. Fuck, Mandy, I thought, knowing Mandy caused him to turn around. Great timing you have there.

Craig was about four feet away from me, staring at my startled face. "What are you doing here?" he asked, shaking his head slightly.

A single rain drop hit my shoulder, causing it to splash off of my leather jacket. "I came to bring you back home."

"After what I said to you and your mother? Trust me, I don't deserve to go back there," he said, rain drops starting to fall from the sky in big droplets.

"Craig--"

"No, Halley," he interrupted. It was a bit hard to understand him because of the loudness coming from the rain. "I'm sorry for what I said, okay? I didn't mean a single word. I love you like you're my own daughter. Because I never had any kids, I'm not use to this. Whenever you were younger, I didn't know how to comfort you whenever you'd cry. Your mother always did, though." He stopped for a second, catching a breath. "I'm sorry, Hal."

I ran towards him, hugging him tightly. The rain was falling down onto us as we hugged. "I'm sorry, too," I said quietly whenever we pulled away. "Now, let's take you back to Mom. She's really worried."

We walked to the car in silence, the only sound was our feet slapping the rain on the pavement as we walked. "Halley?" Craig asked whenever we entered the car.

Putting the key into the ignition, I answered, "Mhm?"

"Are you still going back to New York?" he asked, a bit of sadness in his voice.

I looked up at him from the mirror. Looking over at Mandy, I smiled. "I have to, Craig. New York's my home now."

We arrived at Mom's house just twenty minutes later, rain still falling clearly from the sky. Craig didn't leave the car, something that confused both Mandy and I. Turning around to look at him, I sighed. "She really wants to see you, Craig. Mom missed you so much."

"I just can't see it, Hal," Craig said sadly, looking at the car's floor.

"Craig," I started, snapping my fingers to get him to look up at me. "Mom stayed up all night last night on the couch, crying and waiting for you to come home. She missed you more than you think."

He nodded, exiting the car slowly. "See you, Hal. See you, Mandy." He waved, smiling at both of us. "Drive safe in this horrific rain, you hear me?" was his last words before he slammed the door shut. We watched as Craig entered the house quietly, shutting the door behind him.

"Can we both agree that they're about to do the nasty?" I turned to Mandy, a disgusted look on my face.

"You fucking disgust me," I said in a disgusted tone, backing out of the drive way. She just laughed as I shook my head.

Mandy and I drove to the airport in a hurry, our flight boarded in twenty minutes, leaving only ten left whenever we arrived. I grabbed my suitcase, dragging it behind me. Mandy already had her bag. She only brought a duffle bag, knowing she wouldn't be here for long. "Shit! What about the rental car?!" I screamed, stopping in my tracks, causing Mandy to stop, too.

"Just leave it and get your Mom to take it back later!" she screamed back, waiting for me to start running again.

I groaned but nodded, running behind Mandy, my heart racing. "Wait! Halley!" an all too familiar voice shouted, footsteps pounding behind me. I looked behind me, staring at the person who shouted my name. Stopping in my tracks, I sighed. It was Tony and Jaime. Jaime was behind Tony, looking extremely sad.