A Final Goodbye

In what felt like hours, Tatsumi was finally able to open his eyes. He could barely move his body as he stared at the destruction of the city. No building could be made out nearby and the skies were clouded with dust and smoke.

"Sh-Shit..." He failed them. If only he had not been so trusting toward the overflow of power, but it felt so natural. Almost as though he would have gladly gave up his soul to the spirit by all means to save everyone.

His eyes widened and looked around. Regretfully, there were deceased bodies everywhere. There were some distant cries of pain and pleas for help from the people very far ahead who most likely got caught in the shockwave. To his right, the massive teigu containing the dead Emperor laid in a destoryed heap no doubt crushing a number of people. Why did his body give out just as he was making a difference?

His heart stopped. Where are Lubbock and Mine?

With great difficulty, Tatsumi tremulously leaned up on an elbow and shut an eye when blood trickled down from his hair. He did not care if his body was broken, he needed reassurance that either one of them are okay. The thought of Lubbock dead because of him... it wasn't acceptable.

"Haah... Haah..." It took immense effort as he very slowly pushed himself forward. With every forced push, his body began to shut down. His lower half had stopped working, but he paid no mind to the need to rest. He fought off the constant dizzy spells as he continued to drag himself across the rubble.

Where is everyone else? Where is Leone? Akame and Esdeath? Najenda and the army? How long was he out and just how much people did he murder after being unsuccessful?

When his right arm gave up on him, his name was called out.

"T-Tatsumi..." Perking up at the familiar voice, he desperately searched around with his eyes.

"Lubba?" He responded and a relieved sense of warmth washed through his body when he saw Lubbock lying not far ahead. "Are you okay?" He asked immediately, forcing himself up more with just his left arm.

"Don't... worry a-about me..." Lubbock said with harsh breaths. Tatsumi wanted to hop into his feet and cradle the hurting male. Sadly, all he could do is curse his paralytic body.

"Can you move?" Tatsumi asked and Lubbock shook his head.

"Barely. Got c-caught in the the blast. I was able to cover Mine... and she went to alert M-Miss Najenda."

"Could have gotten yourself killed..." Tatsumi muttered, however greatly relieved that neither Lubbock or Mine were deceased. "I'll get us out of here eventually."

"Don't... make shallow promises... idiot..." Lubbock answered while turning onto his stomach. Tatsumi could no longer move and swore. Just one more push... he just needed to touch him at the very least.

His hand shakily reached out and Lubbock effortfully did the same. Just the slightest touch...

"Well look at what we have here." Tatsumi froze and stared up. Lauren was standing behind them with a victorious grin.

"Y-You..." Tatsumi growled, now truly regretting not being able to move. Flashbacks of the visit with the Heartfields played and his anger rose.

"Now, now what's with the scary look? I just wanted to give you two a helpful hand." Lauren said as he stepped up and placed a foot on Lubbock's arm. "And of course, reunite with my dear younger brother." He added while adding pressure. Lubbock yelped from the pain and Tatsumi shakily leaned up.

"Get away from him!"

"And who are you to tell me that? You don't even have the guts to stand up." Lauren taunted. Tatsumi tried to move once again and failed.