Reuniting

Tatsumi nearly knocked over the coffee table after scooting back hastily. What was Lubbock's body doing in this man's house? No, the blanket was moving. Which means Lubbock... no. He saw with his own eyes at how his friend met his fate on those spikes. There is no way...

Tatsumi tremulously kneeled back in front of the couch and held a hand over his friend's chest. It is moving. There is an active heart beat. Lubbock is breathing. Lubbock is alive. How did Armon return Lubbock to his cabin safe and sound? How did he patch up Lubbock with just those threads? The headache returned and Tatsumi lowered his head, tears spilling on his lap. It can't be real. But those serene breaths of air. He can not be alive. However the chest rose and fell lightly. He saw. Despite the occassional muttering. Muttering?

Tatsumi shut his thoughts up to listen to Lubbock's sleep-hazed words.

"... CrossTail... Najenda... Tatsu..." Tears spilled even more on the couch as each word was spoken. Tatsumi could hardly believe Lubbock is alive, breathing, and talking. It filled his heart with every ounce of desire to protect him this time. He did not want Lubbock or anyone to baby him anymore. He wanted to make sure it was his comrades who are safe. Otherwise, the tragedy of Lubbock's likely death that replays over and over would happen again.

"I promise, Lubba." His sorrow-filled voice cracked. He no longer felt empty. He had his best friend back and the mental pain stopped. This is the last time he leaves anyone on their own and this is the last time he is weak.

His hand moved from the rising chest to Lubbock's smooth hand. To be this close to Lubbock again and yet it felt like forever. A strange flutter hit his heart and Tatsumi lied down on the carpet, keeping their hands clasped tightly.

This is all the motivation he needs.

...

Tatsumi awoke to a quiet, peaceful morning. He was almost ready to throw a fit at the light until he realized that it was the sun. Being in the dark dungeon too long really affected him. He sat up and recalled last night's events. Armon appears, he's saved, he's taken to a cabin, and Lubbock... Tatsumi whipped his head to the side and his breath hitched when his hand laid by itself on the floor, there was no print on the couch, no blanket, no sign of Lubock, had it all been a dream. Is he perhaps in another part of the dungeon? Is he still on the run? Is Lubbock really...?

Tears threatened to spill but foot steps snapped Tatsumi from his hopeless thoughts.

"Ah you're awake. Good thing because you can start on my vegetable patch."

"Of course sir." Tatsumi muttered monotonely with no desire to help at all. It felt so real, and now it was just gone. How could his mind be so cruel to him?

Nonetheless, Tatsumi stood and sweated when Armon handed him a basket.

"Pick out the radishes and onions. Do that, and I may cook up a nice curry for lunch. I'll be out to the Capitol for some errands. Don't blow up my cabin while I'm out."

"Yes sir."

"And drop the 'sir', you're a comrade, not a guest." Tatsumi wanted to say 'Well technically...' but he kept his mouth shut and followed Armon out the door. For once he could finally appreciate the nature in the beaming morning sun. His memories wandered to the moments where he and Lubbock would effortlessly climb a tree and sit on the branch. Lubbock would point out how some clothes look like lingerie and Tatsumi would blush and sigh.

"... in the garden too. Take care." Shit. He was too wrapped up in his thoughts to fully hear Armon. Tatsumi said "You too" and hoped it was nothing too important. In moments, he carried the basket to the patch, set down his basket, and began picking at the radishes. No doubt the garden stretched around the house because the onions were not in the front of the house.