It's not a Mistake

"Tatsumi, look!" The brunette looked up from the grass and looked ahead at what Lubbock was pointing at with one hand; their other hands were currently enclosed together.

"What am I... hold on... That's the base!" He shouted. There ahead, in the sea of trees, hills, and mountains, he and Lubbock could make out the roof of the building. Although it seemed like miles away, just seeing part of the base made his heart soar. They will finally be able to see their friends again!

"I never thought I would be back." Lubbock said and Tatsumi looked at Lubbock, "Thank you, Tatsumi."

"And Armon. The old bat did save you." Tatsumi added. The bright, rosy smile Lubbock gave him nearly had Tatsumi trip and fall with a heart attack. Lubbock was so... pretty.

"Tatsumi?" Said teen blinked from his hypnotized staring and rubbed the back of his head with a sheepish grin and a heavy blush.

"Ahaha..." His heart's rapid beating became noticable against his chest. That smile... it would surely etch into his mind forever. "Think we could make it by tonight?" He asked.

"I wish. But we're going to need one more resting stop. We haven't slept since two days ago." Lubbock said with slight disappointment. "It wouldn't be good to over-exert ourselves."

Tatsumi swung their hands in an attempt to bring things to a lighter note. "Still, we know we're close to Night Raid. Tomorrow, we'll finally see everyone." Butterflies erupted in Tatsumi's stomach when Lubbock swung their hands in response.

"Heh yeah. But let's not walk in on them looking like a newly wed couple." Lubbock joked, motioning at their hands clasped. Tatsumi laughed, but on the inside was a contradiction.

'What if I don't mind?'

"Anyway, I could use the time to take out the stitch. It'll heal back up a lot faster so I'll just get it out the way." Lubbock said thoughtfully.

"If you ever need help, just shout. Not that you wouldn't be doing enough of that already." Tatsumi teased.

"Oh shut up. There's a hot spring nearby. Not as big as the one near our base, but it's enough to camp at. I'm really not looking forward to unstringing myself."

"You're going to be okay. You've been through worse." Tatsumi encouraged, squeezing his hand. "Show your body who's boss."

"You sound so stupid." Lubbock said with a chuckle, shaking his head.

"Did it help?"

"Like always. You really know how to cheer me up. Weird."

Tatsumi figured being over-protective would not always be the best idea since their chat a few hours ago. Instead, he decided just being himself is enough and surprisingly, it relaxes Lubbock. They're interactions has definitely become a lot closer and meaningful.

Of course, Tatsumi thinks this as they swing their arms together. Definitely closer.

...

As the cloudy skies darkened along with the barely-visible moon rising in the deep violet sky, Tatsumi and Lubbock arrived at the hot spring just a little more than halfway from the base.

"Ugh. If only we had some way of contacting them before our arrival..." Lubbock complained as he slipped off his jacket. Tatsumi hummed.

"Armon mentioned the same thing, but that's because either way, there is a chance of our message being intercepted or rewritten."

"Thanks for the obvious." Tatsumi gave a thumb's up in response. "I'm gonna go behind that rock and get started on it. You can hang around here until I finish."