The Heartfields

It was like all the exhaustion escaped from Tatsumi because he and Lubbock finally made it to their first destination. Although it would not only be a chance to relax in paradise:

"Remember, we still have a whole Capitol on our shoes. We have to be descreet about our plans, we need to update this map so we can look for shortcuts, and we need to re-train to prepare for combat if there is any conflict first thing at Night Raid. And stop shaking Tatsu, I mean enemies not our own friends."

Even through all the seriousness, Tatsumi could tell how nervous Lubbock was about meeting his family for the first time in years. Somehow, the older teen grew a habit of absentmindedly brushing his bangs and darting his eyes at anywhere but the source of his worries. He might have called it cute, but Lubbock would most likely not take a liking to that.

The mansion grew larger in view with each step they took, and with each second Lubock was practically ruffling his own hair.

"Um Lubba?"

"Wh-What? Oh sorry." Lubbock reluctantly ceased his previous action. "You know, m-maybe we can rent out a hotel room or-"

"No way. At that rate, I could lose all my cash. I thought the point of staying at your parents is so we wouldn't have to spend any more unnecessary money?" Tatsumi countered.

"I-I know but... fine, okay." Lubbock went back to his habit and Tatsumi sighed.

"Do you really think they would hate you?" He asked and received no response. "You know if I was them, I would just be glad you're still alive. I mean you obviously saw that a few days ago."

"Yeah, but that's you. Their mindsets could have changed. Maybe I disappointed them because I indirectly chose murdering over living a peaceful life with my family." Lubbock said. "I wish I used my head more as an adolescent. Instead of being some love-sick puppy."

Tatsumi raised his eyebrows.

"Are you... I mean, you do still like Najenda?" He hesitantly asked. Lubbock took several seconds to process the question.

"I'm not sure. Maybe it's because I haven't been with her for so long that I'm growing used to our distance." Tatsumi immediately asked his next question.

"What if she was there a few days ago with you?" Lubbock turned his head at Tatsumi, who felt like crawling in a ditch.

"I... don't know? Do you still like Mine?" This question made Tatsumi have a double-take.

"S-Still like Mine? I never liked her that way!" Cute as she may be, he could not exactly picture himself with a demon, er Mine.

"Sure, but I bet she must be worried sick about you~"

"Well I'm positive everyone is worried about us. Ah..." Tatsumi vaguely remembered how fast everything flew by. He did not have the chance to tell Leone and the others about Lubbock. The good news is that Lubbock turned out to be alive. The bad news is Night Raid is going to continue to believe he and Lubbock disappeared forever, which would deem them 'dead' by their group's standards.

"Were you going to say something?" Tatsumi shook his head quickly.

"My bad. I tend to think a lot."

"Same for me. But you'll have to leave that behind because we're here. Welcome home." Tatsumi instinctively looked up and nearly dropped his jaw. Compared to his former village's houses, he was practically at a private island. Lakes flowed freely by each side of the building, which was a large, two story mansion with nearly more than ten windows on each side. He and Lubbock stepped through the neat, luscious bushes and toward the silver gates.

"I forgot, they have security and I'm pretty sure they changed the passcode by now. Looks like we'll have to use the traditional way." Lubbock pressed the buzzer once. Tatsumi wondered if it as Lubbock that needed to quit his over-thinking habit because now he was mindlessly pressing the buzzer repeatedly with a hazed look. He grabbed Lubbock's hand with a small laugh, and the other male flushed.

Eventually, a butler stepped at the front of the gate.

"State your full name and business." He demanded and Tatsumi grew wary of the professional's sunglasses while Lubbock did as he was told.

"Uh Lubbock... and we-"

"Full name." This caught Tatsumi's curiosity when Lubbock shifted nervously. Come to think of it he never got to know Lubbock's last name.

"Ah... L-Lubbock H-"

"Wait a minute!" A voice shouted and a soccer ball rolled over by the gate. A tall, black haired man walked over with a searching look. "You! You look like..."

"Master Lauren, I have everything under control." The butler muttered but the man continued on anyway.

"Sorry... You... you just remind me of my little brother." He said while pointing at Lubbock. The man's face visibly saddened and Tatsumi watched Lubbock look up guiltly.

"Well... wh-what if I said... I was your little brother...?" He stuttered, slightly wincing.

"Master, let me deal with this nonsense." The Butler immediately said with a scowl and Tatsumi stepped in between him and Lubbock with his hand clearly on the handle of his sword.

"Tatsumi!"

"Weis!"

Tatsumi did not back down as the butler reluctantly stepped back with a disapproving look.

"Master Lauren, he is merely impersonating a deceased loved one of yours."

"How about you shut your damn mouth before making assumptions!?" Tatsumi finally growled and yelped when Lubbock hastily yanked him back.

"Don't make things worse for us." Lubbock hissed and Lauren glanced between the two boys.

"I don't believe in zombies and all that. But you look so much like Lubbock that I don't want to get my hopes up. So I have one question. What do you hope to gain by claiming to be him?"

"He's not faking-!" Lubbock jutted Tatsumi in his side to shut him up and looked directly into Lauren's eyes.

"My friend and I are wanted by the Empire."

"Lubba!" Tatsumi gaped at Lubbock in disbelief but his heart dropped as Lubbock spoke each word.

"He escaped from being executed. I was supposed to be dead. By now, the whole Capitol is looking for us. We were separated from our group, Night Raid. We currently need to hide out until things die down. That's why I came home."

"Lubba, why did you...?" Tatsumi began, his heart pounding in his chest. Was Lubbock giving in? Are they going to be captured and taken by the Imperial Army? Did he lose hope that quickly?

"You're giving sensitive information to me." Lauren muttered. "I could easily turn you in and receive a reward."

Tatsumi and Lubbock were both silent; Tatsumi held his breath, with a racking heart and a final thought of strangling his friend.

"... or I could welcome my brother back home." Tatsumi blinked and took a while to process everything. What did Lauren mean?

He got his answer when the gate slowly opened. He also found that Lubbock was speechless himself, as though he could not believe that Lauren believed him. Lauren and picked up his soccer ball and tossed it to Lubbock, who immediately kicked it down and stepped on it with a foot.

"Yup, there he is. And plenty of explaining to do." They weren't completely off the hook, especially Lubbock. After hearing how he had faked his and Najenda's deaths, having Lubbock standing right in front of his family at this very moment will certainly bring tension.