Road to Night Raid

Several days later, Tatsumi noticed he and Lubbock were back to their usual selves. There were even a couple times Armon had to yell for them to settle down or they would be thrown out. Tatsumi had never seen Lubbock's stitch and wondered what made Lubbock so self-conscious about it. He ought to kiss Armon's feet at this rate for saving his friend's life at the very least.

The two boys decided today is their last stay-in day. Lubbock was ready to go find Night Raid and in all honesty, Tatsumi was just ready to follow Lubbock wherever he planned to go. It was not so much that he can not do things on his own, but he just wanted to make up for not being a true teammate. Everyone in Night Raid always risked their life to save him and all he got in return were either his dead target's body or his dead comrade's body.

"Tatsumi." He made a mental note to stop over-thinking and pulled on a smile. Not that it was very hard since just Lubbock's curious gaze made his heart flutter. Mysteriously, ever since he discovered Lubbock's survival, his heart could not stop pounding in the other's presence. Supposedly it will eventually cease?

"Yes? Are you ready to set out?" He asked. Lubbock swung the bag's sash over his shoulder with a nod.

"Yup. And you?" Tatsumi answered him by holding his own bag.

"Yeah. Let's go tell Armon."

"No need to." Both boys jolted and turned around quickly. Armon continued to stare analytically. "It's a long trip ahead. I would send Najenda a message, but sadly the Capitol's security is doubling. You boys are on your own." Tatsumi nodded in understanding.

"Thank you for the hospitality." He responded and Armon batted his hand at them.

"I just needed some temporary maids. But, anything for fellows of the revolutionary army."

Tatsumi caught Lubbock's smile and could not help but grin at Armon before turning to leave with his friend.

"Bye, general. Hopefully we can meet again."

"I wouldn't hold my breath." Stepping away from the pessimist, Tatsumi and Lubbock started down the dirt pathway into the forest. It was time to begin their first mission; find Night Raid. Unfortunately, there would be unknown future obstacles Tatsumi will have to face during their long journey.

...

It has been an hour and Tatsumi had finally caught up with his thoughts, now realizing how silent it is between him and Lubbock. There was no longer a dirt path but they continued their direction east until there were signs of a village. It is obvious it will take several days on foot to find out where their teammates are. It could take even longer if it turns out they relocated.

"So, Lubba..." He started, not sure if he got the male's attention since the long green bangs covered the side of his face, "Should we stop by a shop? I could buy a sword so we aren't completely defenseless." He suggested.

"Sure."

Tatsumi had an inner mental anxiety attack. Lubbock would usually spring up a random conversation but now it is like they are complete strangers suddenly. Is Lubbock not excited to see him again? Let alone turn out to be alive?

"We'd have to rest a few times." Lubbock finally said, which made Tatsumi ignore every doubt at once.

"O-Of course!" Tatsumi answered, hoping he did not sound too relieved to hear him speak more. "I'm pretty good at surviving in a wilderness. I could point a few spots to settle later on."

"That's good but I was thinking somewhere more safe. And... home-like." Tatsumi raised an eyebrow at Lubbock's description.

"I don't think we can trust most people now. I'm wanted and you're supposed to be dead so they wouldn't mind selling us out for gold."

"I know. I was thinking more of my home. Before I joined Night Raid." Lubbock said. Tatsumi finally understood what he meant, but had several concerns.

"Your family, you had mentioned them before. Are they sided with the empire?" He asked worriedly, and Lubbock's answer did not help lessen his concern.

"Let's find out."

...

"How did it go?" Lubbock asked and Tatsumi held up his sheathed sword.

"Took nearly all of my emergency coins. But this is the only guaranteed blade to cut cleanly. I'm just hoping this is a replacement for when I actually find my imperial arm." Tatsumi said and placed the sash of his sword on his back.

There was not a village far from their starting point. In fact it was the same village Armon went to for when he looked for unattainable vegetables for dinner. Even then, Tatsumi borrowed Lubbock's jacket to hide his identity in order to purchase a temporary sword. He wanted to find something for Lubbock but the male had disregarded his request for the tenth and final time.

"How are you supposed to defend yourself for the times I'm not there?" Tatsumi would ask and Lubbock would only shrug with a teasing smile.

"Okay, I can pinpoint from this village that my home is about seven miles away. It'll take a day so we will have to hide out for a few hours once it's too dark to continue." Lubbock announced while looking at the map in his hands. Tatsumi frowned not at Lubbock's words, but his weird urge to hold the teen's hand. When did he become so clingy?

"Y-Yeah."

"Don't worry, Tats. The worse my mom can do is disown me, which is unlikely. Plus she lives in a rural mansion so she may not try to kill us."

"Still, it's been years right? We may never know what happened during that course of time for them." Tatsumi said.

"Are you that eager to shoot my hopes down?" This question made Tatsumi become apologetic in a flustered manner and Lubbock gave him a reassuring sigh. "I was joking. I know the odds are 50/50."

"But I shouldn't be negative about anything. I'm really hoping to meet your parents. I'll know where you got your good looks from." Tatsumi said, snorting. They laughed and Lubbock chimed in.

"Maybe one day I'll visit your elder and see where you got those wrinkles from."

"Shut up!" They continued to joke around for several before they were able to calm down. Tatsumi finally remembered a nagging thought at the back of his head.

"So, you never told me why you don't want me to see your scar. Is it that bad?" He asked. As usual, Lubbock started with an uncomfortable expression before quickly changing it to a forced grin.

"I-It just makes me look weird. What's with you and wanting to see me naked so badly?" He joked and Tatsumi rolled his eyes.

"It's not that. It's just... the more you insult yourself the more I want to see you. Ah, n-not in a weird way or anything!" Tatsumi hastily corrected himself with a red face. Lubbock had pink-tinged cheeks but he had not said anything about the accidental suggestive statement.

"Maybe sometime when I'm drunk you can see."

"And when will that be?"

"Exactly."