Chapter 100

**George’s POV**

“Naaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhh…” I roll over and stretch, arching my back. I flop back on the bed and glance at Maddie’s side. It’s empty. I throw myself out of bed and check the time. Six o’clock. I check the bathroom, but it’s empty. Alithea is sleeping soundly in her room. The kitchen and lounge room are deserted and she’s nowhere to be seen outside. Thinking she’s probably gone for a walk, I head back upstairs to get ready for work. As I reach the top of the stairs I hear a small noise from the bedroom opposite Alithea’s. I pull out my wand and push the door open.

“Morning,” Maddie says cheerfully from the top of a ladder.

“What’re you doing?” I ask, looking around. The walls were once white, but are now a pale green. Maddie has paint on her face and in her hair. She’s painting the roof a darker shade of green and the carpet has been changed into an almost black green.

“Nesting,” Maddie replies, brushing some hair off her face and smearing more paint there.

“Nest… What?”

“Nesting,” she repeats, climbing down.

“Oh, you’ve become an owl.”

Maddie laughs.

“Don’t be silly,” she says, putting the paint brush and can down on the floor, “it just means that I’m preparing for the new baby to come. Making everything perfect.”

“You couldn’t have just said that?”

Grinning, she leans up to kiss me.

“Oops, got paint on you,” she laughs.

“Have you looked in a mirror?” I chuckle. She pulls open the wardrobe door and looks in the mirror inside it.

“Oh dear!” she giggles, “I look like a monster!”

“Would you mind telling me why you’re doing this at six in the morning?” I ask as she uses her wand to siphon the paint out of her hair.

“Couldn’t sleep,” she replies, “so I thought I’d get some of it done while Alithea’s sleeping.”

“How long have you been up?” I ask, guiding her back to the bedroom.

“Since three,” she replies. I raise an eyebrow at her.

“Again?” I ask, “you’ve barely been sleeping lately, do you feel okay?”

“I feel fine,” Maddie says.

“Are you sure? Maybe we should get you checked out,” I suggest, “has the baby been kicking?”

“As if its life depended on it,” she assures me. I run my fingers over her stomach.

“I love you,” I whisper into it. Maddie ruffles my hair up.

“Go get ready for work.”

***

**Maddie’s POV**

“Hey Maddie, how long now?” Tonks asks as I walk in the front door of Dad’s old house. He moved out of Grimauld place after the whole Dumbledore thing and as far as I know, nobody but Remus has been back.

“A couple of weeks,” I puff, sitting down carefully, “So really, any time now. I feel like I swallowed a balloon!”

“You’re getting big,” Dad agrees, “but then, Alithea was a small baby and a month early.”