Chapter 22

**Maddie's POV**

I open my eyes, the image of Remus still clear in my mind. My heart is thumping hard against my chest, my brreathing coming fast and I'm drenched in sweat.
"Maddie!"
I wince as I see Remus and tears spring to my eyes.
"What happened?" I choke, struggling into a sitting position. Remus lays his hand gently on my shoulder.
"Shh," he says gently, "deep breaths, wait until you've calmed down."
I struggle to calm myself. The images of James and Lily are still burning in my mind.
"Was that real?" I whisper, staring at my hands.
"Yes."
I hear Remus' voice, but don't look up.
"Why... How..." I shake my head, "what happened?"
"After... that, we asked you if you wanted to forget what had happened. We couldn't take the memory from you, so we bound it. We knew one day it would snap, but we thought by the time it did your memory itself would be very weak, so the memory wouldn't have much effect. As it turns out the dementors weakened the binding, so it snapped free."
"Will it always be like this?" I whisper, trembling.
"No," Remus murmurs back, "the memory will begin to fade now, like a normal memory."
"I still think he's innocent," I say, trying to make my voice firm.
"He is."
I look up in shock and notice for the first time how pale Remus is. He quickly explains everything that happened while I was unconcious (see Harry Potter
and the Prisoner of Azkaban
).
I sit and stare at him for a few moments.
"It's a lot to take in, huh?" he jokes feebly.
"My father... Is innocent," I say, "and it can be proved."
"Don't go getting any ideas," Remus sighs, "now, I'm going to get Fred and George, they've gone mental without you."
"How long was I out?" I ask, sitting up.
"Uh, almost two weeks," Remus says. I gasp.
"I missed my exams!" I cry.
"You'll take them as soon as Madame Pomfrey says you can," Remus sooths, "now lie down and be quiet or the boys won't be allowed in."
I watch as Remus opens the door and sticks his head out. I hear the sound of running feet and Fred and George burst through the doors.
"We thought you'd died!" Fred says as they both hug me tightly. I nestle my face into their shoulders, but don't reply.
"How were the exams?" I ask after a few minutes. The both groan and sit down on either side of the bed.
"We did fine!" they say simutaneously. I roll my eyes.
"Sure," I say, stretching, "I hope I go okay."
This time they roll their eyes.
"You know you'll blitz it," Fred says. I grin.
"I know."

"How'd you go?" Fred asks two days later as I leave my final exam.
"Blitzed it."
"Told you," he laughs.
"Where's George?" I ask, yawning.
"Acutally," Fred frowns, "I have no idea."
"Ah well," I lead the way out onto the lawn and flop down in the sun.
"It's a shame Lupin had to leave," Fred says, lying down next to me, "he's the best teacher we've had."
"Mmm, but once it got out that... You know... He couldn't stay."
"Speaking of, why didn't you ever tell us you live with a werewolf?"
I shrug, closing my eyes.
"I didn't want you to feel sorry for me," I mumble, "I've had so many people treat me diferently because of my father and Remus, I wanted you guys to just treat me as me."
"You know that might not be a good thing?"
"It rarely is."
We're silent for awhile, soaking in the sun and freedom.
"You have to come and stay this summer," Fred says lazily, "Dad'll probably get tickets to the Quidditch World Cup."
"Mmm, that'll be great," I reply, knowing I'll be too busy to go.
"Guys!" George suddenly appears beside us.
"This had better be important," I yawn. In the distance I hear Filch's yells and curses and sit up, interested.
"What did you do?" I ask George. An evil grin spreads across his face.
"Best prank so far," he says, "I-"