Chapter 21

**Maddie's POV**

"Can you find the cat?"
"There!" I point triumphantly to the fat orange cat on the page.
"Very good, what about the ball?"
I study the page carefully, identifying each object before dismissing it.
"There!" I cry.
"Aren't you clever?"
I smile up at my Uncle Remus. He turns the page just as I hear the front door open and close. That can only mean one thing-
"DADDY!" I yell, jumping off Remus' lap and running over to the unbeatable force that was my father.
"Princess!" he says, swinging me up into his arms and squeezing me tight, "did you have a good day?"
"We read three books!" I tell him excitedly.
"Wow!" he says, looking impressed, "you'll be better than Dad soon, huh?"
"No!" I giggle. Suddenly I'm set down and Daddy looks sad.
"Maddison, can you run upstairs and find your kitten?" he says quietly. I run around the corner, but stop to listen.
"It's time Sirius, you have to keep her safe."
"I'm worried for James and Lily... If I ever catch the spy..."
"She'll be safe there for one night, then you can both go into hiding until this is all over."
I run upstairs, not wanting to hear anymore.
"Snowy!" I call, searching for my kitten. She leaps down off my bed and pads over to me. I pick her up and give her a squeeze, finding comfort in her warmth.
"Hey bub," Daddy says, coming into the room, "do you want to go for a sleep over with James, Lily and Harry?"
"No!" I cry, "I want to stay with you!"
Daddy picks me up and sits on the bed with me in his lap. I cuddle up to him, clinging to his shirt.
"Dad has to go away for tonight," he sighs, "I'll be back first thing in the morning to get you, I promise."
I hold back the tears and nod.
"Good girl," he says, kissing the top of my head, "Let's go!"
When we go downstairs Remus is gone. Daddy takes me out and puts me and my overnight bag into the sidecar of his motor bike.
"All strapped in?" he asks, even though he strapped me in himself.
"Yes!" I reply, snuggling down in the seat.
"Hold on!"
I close my eyes as the wind whips my hair around, into my face, especially my mouth. I open my eyes as we level out and stare around me at the towns we're flying over. Eventually I spot Godric's Hollow. We begin to descend and soon we're on the ground.
"Down we pop," Daddy says, lifting me out and setting me gently on the ground, "got your bag?"
I nod and hold my hand up. He smiles, almost... Sadly?... And takes it. Together we walk up the path to James and Lily's house.
"You want to knock?" Daddy asks. I nod importantly, rapping on the door. I hear the sound of running footsteps and the door is flung open.
"Maddison!" Aunt Lily scoops me up and spins me around the room while Uncle James comes out to say hello to Daddy.
"How are you beautiful?" Lily asks.
"Good! I'm almost three!" I tell her. Her mouth falls open.
"No way! Three?" she shakes her head, "You'll be starting school soon!"
"Princess."
I turn to Daddy.
"I've got to go," he says, kneeling down next to me, "you be good for James and Lily, won't you? And it's your bed time, but don't wake little Harry, okay?"
"Okay," I reply, hugging Daddy as hard as I can.
"Do I get a kiss?"
I plant a soft kiss on his cheek.
"Love you," he whispers, giving me another quick hug.
"We'll wave goodbye from upstairs," Lily says, taking my hand. We hurry upstairs, being careful not to wake Harry and stand at the window, waving, until the motorbike is out of sight.
"Bed time," Lily says as he fades into the distance.
It feels like I've barely closed my eyes when Lily is shaking me awake.
"Maddie, quick!" she whispers, lifting me up and pushing me into the cupboard, "hide here! Don't move, don't make a sound! Don't come out no matter what!"
I cower agains the back of the cupboard. A beam of light peaks through the closed doors and I see Lily scoop Harry up just as someone else opens the door. I peak through the gap, expecting James, but instead seeing someone in a long, black cloak.
"No, please!" Lily cries, putting Harry down and standing in front of him, "Please, not Harry! Kill me, just don't hurt Harry!"
"Move aside you silly girl!"
I shrink back in the cupboard, terrified by the voice.
"No!" I hear Lily sob. I cover my ears with my hands. Hot tears roll down my face. I see a flash of green light and my hands can't block out Lily's scream. It echoes in my ears. I cover my mouth tightly so I don't scream too. There's another flash of light and a huge explosion that shakes the whole house. The cupboard falls over and the doors burst open. I tumble out onto the carpet. I sit up and look around at the destoryed house. I hear Harry crying from nearby and scramble over to him. He has a cut which, even as I watch, is turning to a scar. Clumsily, I pick him up and crawl back to the cupboard. We curl up inside and Harry grips my sleeve tightly in his small fist. We're both crying very hard.
"Mama!" Harry cries loudly.
"Shh," I shush him anxiously.
"Who's there?"
I cower back in the reckage of the cupboard, holding Harry protectively. A huge shape moves towards us. I whimper softly, trembling.
In the distance I think I hear the sound of Daddy's motorbike, but my ears are ringing with the sound of the explosion and I can't be sure.
"Anyone there?" a gruff voice calls. I recognise the voice vaguely.
"Hello?"
I poke my head out.
"Hagrid," I whisper. He turns around and looks shocked.
"Well, ye both alive," he says, sounding thoroughly astonished. I lift Harry up and hold him as tightly as I can. He squirms in discomfort. My arms ache from trying to hold him.
"Here," Hagrid scoops him up in his large arm, "come on, we'll get yeh somewhere safe. We're taking Harry to 'is Aunty and Uncle."
I follow Hagrid through the ruins of the house. As we pass through the living room I look around and see James lying on the floor. His eyes are round and staring. He's not breathing.
"Hagrid!" I cry, trembling. He turns around and sees me.
"Come on," he says, taking my hand, "don' look."
I cover my eyes with one hand and hurry after him.
"Daddy's bike!" I say, seeing it in the yard, "where's Daddy?"
"He's gone," Hagrid says, "don' know where. We'll find 'im though."
I climb into the familar seat and strap myself in the way Daddy does. Hagrid flies us over the country, stillholding Harry in one arm. We land in a quiet street.
"Wait here," he whispers, walking over to a tall wizard and witch. The converse for a few minutes before laying Harry on the doorstep. Confused, I climb out and run over.
"What're you doing?" I ask. The wizard, a tall, old man with lots of silver hair looks down at me kindly.
"We're leaving Harry with his Aunt and Uncle," he says gently, "he's going to be safe here."
"What about me?" I ask, "where's Daddy?"
"I'm going to take you to Remus' house," the man says, "he'll take care of you."
When he says this the witch gasps.
"Albus! Do you think that's safe?" she hisses.
"Where else?" the man, Albus, asks, "no one else would take her. Not now."
He turns to face me and smiles again.
"We'll apparate," he says, "have you ever done that before?"
"Yes," I reply, "with Daddy."
"Very well," he holds out his hand. I take it and am surprised at the strength there. He twists sharply and I feel like I'm being sqeezed very tightly, then we're outside Uncle Remus' house.
Uncle Remus answers almost before Albus finishes knocking. The door flings open and I see his tear stained face.
"Dumbledore, he... He couldn't have!" he chokes.
"It was him," Dumbledore says seriously, "and he killed Peter."
"No," Remus groans, "how did this happen? He was meant to be one of us!"
"He has been taken to Azkaban," Albus says, "and-"
"Who?" I interrupt. I've heard of Azkaban. Whoever has been sent there must be very bad.
"Maddison?" Remus looks down at me, noticing for the first time that I'm there.
"Uncle Remus, who's gone to Azkaban?" I ask him. He kneels down infront of me so we're almost eye to eye.
"Daddy," he says quietly, "Daddy's gone to Azkaban."