Chapter 11

**Maddie's POV**

"Another attack..."
"Colin Creeve... Petrified!"
The whispers were everywhere the next morning.
"This is scary," I murmur to Fred as we walk past a tight knot of first-years. He nods in agreement.
"There's Harry!" I say, starting towards him.
"Maddison!"
I turn towards Angelina and Alicia who crash into me.
"Maddie," Alicia says in a soft voice, "After the next Quidditch game. Seventh Heaven. Room of Requirement. Can you guys get snacks?"
"Sure," I whisper back, glancing at McGonagal who's not far away.
"Thanks," she grins, hurrying off. Fred and George look at me with one eyebrow raised. Well, two, but one each... You know...
"We have a mission," I tell them, "but wait until later."
I glance significantly at McGonagal. They nod and we take our seats at the Gryffindor table.
"Alright, it's safe," Fred says, his curiousity almost killing him.
"Our skills are needed," I tell them, "after the next Quidditch game. We're having a game of Seventh Heaven."
"And they want us to bring the snacks?" George guesses. I nod.
"And I thought it'd be a challenge," he says. I shake my head.
"Same old stuff," I reply.
"Alright team," Oliver says nervously, "this is the next step towards victory-"
"What's that?" I ask, standing up and looking out the window, "what's going on?"
"Everyone back to dormitories!" McGonagal is yelling, "there has been another attack!"
"Oh no!" I cry, covering my mouth with my hands. Oliver pushes past me.
"You can't cancel Quidditch!" he protests. McGonagal gives him a sharp look.
"Back to dormitories," she says sternly.
"Come on," I mutter, pushing on his back, "move!"
"I guess Seventh Heaven is off," Alicia sighs.
"Who do you think- No!" I see Ron and Harry with McGonagal and instantly know.
"What?" Fred asks.
"Hermione," I groan, pointing.
Later that evening McGonagal comes to the common room to tell us about the new rules. After she's left we're all strangely quiet.
"I can't believe it," Alicia says.
"I'm going to bed," I say, getting up. I walk upstairs and change into my pajamas. I feel like someone has injected my blood with ice.
"Come along, quickly!" Professor Flitwick says, ushering us down to Defense Against the Dark Arts. I walk beside George with my eyes on the ground. It feels so... Unsafe now. I've never felt unsafe like this, especially not at Hogwarts.
"I'm tired of these restrictions," Angelina sighs, sitting down opposite Fred and I, next to George, "I know it's for our saftey, but..."
"It's almost the end of term," I point out.
"There's been rumours Hogwarts is closing," Alicia says, joining us.
"It'll have to if the attacks don't stop," I say, "it's just not safe."
We sit in silence, enveloped in our own thoughts. We jump as McGonagal climbs through the portrait hole.
"Maybe she's here to explain about why we got sent back here from our classes," Alicia whispers as McGonagal sends prefects up to get everyone from their dormitories.
When we're all assembled she looks around at us gravely.
"There has been another..." she pauses, "another attack. You must pack all your belongings. You will leave Hogwarts tomorrow. I fear this is the end for our school."
Everyone begins moving away sadly.
"Fred, George, Percy, Maddison, you too" McGonagal says, "wait a moment. Where is Ronald?"
"I don't know professor," Percy says, "perhaps he is with another teacher."
"Oh, very well," she says, "perhaps you'd better sit down."
None of us move. McGonagal sighs.
"This is difficult," she says slowly, "your sister, Ginny, has been taken into the Chamber of Secrets."
We all sit, or fall, into chairs. McGonagal gives us a look of sympathy, then excuses herself.
"No," Fred breathes, "not Ginny."
Percy gets up and silently walks up to his dormitory.
I take one of Fred's hands in one of mine and George's in the other. For a long time we sit in silent grief, then Harry and Ron appear. By the look on Ron's face, he knows.
After a long time George gets up.
"Bed," he says shortly. Fred nods and joins him. I touch Ron's head softly and squeeze Harry's shoulder before walking up to my own dormitory. I climb fully dressed into bed and bury my face in the pillow. I feel hot tears slide down my cheeks. I can't imagine the pain the others are going through.
The next morning Angelina, Alicia and I pack in silence. Every now and then we'll wrap our arms around each other. I don't think any of us stopped crying the whole time.
"Let's not go to breakfast," Alicia sobs, "I couldn't eat!"
I look over to where she's citting on her bed, tears rolling down her cheeks. I walk over and curl up next to her. Angelina follows suit. We sit with our arms around each other, only to be disturbed by a loud wailing outside the door.
"A boy's trying to get up here," Angelina says, trying to act as if she isn't crying.
"I'll see who," I say. I cross quickly to the door.
"MADDISON!" I hear Fred yell. I quickly slide down the ramp that used to be the stairs. I land with a thump at the bottm to be wrenched off the ground by Fred and George who promptly waltz me around the room.
"Ginny's safe!" they crow.
"What?" I gasp, tripping. We all sprawl on the carpet in front of the fire.
"Harry and Ron, they saved her!" George explains, his eyes glowing. I feel my head spin around.
"And... did they figure out who was causing the attacks?" I manage to choke out.
"Yes!" Fred cries, "and Hogwarts isn't closing!"

That night we have a huge celebration in the Great Hall with all those who'd been petrified back with us.
"Hey guys," I whisper along the table, "seventh heaven tonight?"
"Yes!" Alicia cheers.
"Third year and above, yeah?" Angelina asks. I nod and see Ron's look of disappointment.
"Next year," I tell him.
After dinner, Fred, George and I sneak down to the kitchens to get some snack and half an hour later twenty odd students from all the houses are gathered in the Room of Requirement.
"Have all the boys got a colour?" George asks, "yes? Yes? Alright, girls! A volunteer?"
"I will," a tall Slytherine girl says with a smirk.
"Green!" she announces. I see George grimace as he follows her into the closet.
"Never knew he went for older girls," I joke to Fred. He chuckles and throws a chunk of chocolate at me.
"Who's next?" George asks, coming out of the closet. I notice with satisfaction that the Slytherine girl's lipgloss was still intact and she looks quite disappointed.
A Hufflepuff girl goes next.
"Dark blue," she says, giggling and blushing. Lee gets up and winks at Fred, George and I. I roll my eyes.
Seven minutes later they come out and the girl's lipgloss is not quite intact.
"I'm next!" a cocky Ravenclaw girl says, scrambling up. She winks at Fred as she draws a sheet of paper.
"Red," she says, gazing at him. He shakes his head and shrugs. The girl points, but looks slightly more cheerful when a gorgous Hufflepuff boy slides into the closet.
Five pairs later I decide it's about time I went.
"Chocolate brown," I say. Fred laughs and throws another piece of chocolate at me.
"Come on love!" he says loudly, "some alone time at last!"
I laugh as we move into the closet, rather relieved that I chose Fred's colour. I had been hoping Oliver would come along and I would get him, but... Ah well!
"I swear this closet gets smaller every time," I comment, leaning on the wall.
"Maddie," Fred says suddenly, "I've had an idea, and it's stupid, but it'll be really funny..."
"Go on, I say cautiously.
"Okay, what if we were to mess up out hair and stuff and you can put your shirt on inside out and smudge your lipstick-"
"I don't wear lipstick."
"Whatever, you get the idea!"
I bite my lip, my eyes shining. It would be funny.
"Alright," I say, giggling, "turn around!"
As quickly as I can, I rip my shirt off and turn it inside out and pull it back on again. I take my hair out of it's ponytail and shake it out. Fred ruffles up his hair and twists his shirt a bit.
"Be deadly serious," he says, trying not to laugh.
"No, we should both be giggling," I tell him, actually giggling. He grins at me.
"Good, I don't think I could not laugh."
When the door swings open we both stumble out, holding hands and giggling to each other. There's a resounding gasp, followed by stares from every corner of the room. George raises an eyebrow and we throw him a wink. He nods to us to show he's understood that we were just mucking around.
"Who's next?" he asks, his voice amused.
"I'd go another round!" Fred announces loudly. Even as I burst out laughing I see a flicker of annoyance cross George's face, but it's gone so fast I think I just imagined it.
After all, why would it annoy him?