Chapter 32

**Maddie’s POV**

“Maddie!”

I look up at George.

“What?” I ask, returning to my essay.

“Are you coming to Hogsmead today?” he asks, sitting down.

“Nope.”

“It’s just that Lee and Fred are working on something together, so I thought, we could…” he trails off, “did you say no?”

“Yes, I did,” I reply, “I’m sorry, but I’m so far behind already.”

“How can you possibly be behind?” George asks, looking at my essay, “it’s you!”

“I know,” I sigh, rubbing my eyes, “and I really do wish I could go, but I don’t have time.”

“Is that Odie?” George ask, crossing to the window. Odie hops in and flies over to my table.

“This had better not be from Tonks,” I tell him. He hoots in a reassuring way. I unravel the letter and read it quickly.

“Are you okay?” George asks, alarmed. I smack my face into my hand.

“Great,” I growl, “sorry, I have to go-“

“I thought you were behind in work?” George asks. I sigh.

“Sadly, this is something I can’t ignore,” I stroke Odie quickly and run up to my dormitory. I glance over the letter again.

Auror exams have been moved forward. Will be done late April to early May so that you can complete your NEWT exams on time. Tonks is waiting in Hogsmead for you. You’ll be out of school until late March. Everything arranged with Dumbledore. Kingsley.

As quickly as I can I stuff a few changes of clothes into my backpack and run back down to the common room.

“You’re leaving?” George asks, jumping up. I nod and kiss him quickly.

“Tell Fred I said bye, okay?” I call, climbing out the portrait hole.

**George’s POV**

“I don’t get it,” I tell Fred as we walk through the castle, “she’s been gone over a month now without so much as a letter.”

“She’ll have a reason,” Fred replies.

“But she won’t give it to us, will she?”

Fred shakes his head.

“Probably not.”

“Still, maybe she’ll make it back for our birthday,” I sigh as we climb through the portrait hole.

“Apparently she has,” Fred grins as Maddie runs across the common room to us.

“Hey,” she says, flinging her arms around us.

“Where’ve you been?” we chorus. She rolls her eyes.

“Long story, how’s school been?” she asks, sitting down in an arm chair. We join her around the table.

“You’re not getting out of telling us,” I tell her. She sighs deeply.

“You’ll find out soon enough,” she says sadly, “anyway, any plans for tomorrow?”