Chapter 70

**George’s POV**

“That was a waste of time,” Fred mutters as we leave 12 Grimauld place. I nod in agreement. Maddie is frowning, looking distracted.

“What’s wrong?” I ask her. She shakes her head.

“Nothing,” she says quietly, “just thinking.”

“Okay,” I shift Alithea from one hip to the other, “want to share the thoughts?”

“Not really.”

I exchange a look with Fred. He shrugs, his expression clearly saying ‘What can you do?’

“I’ll see you guys around,” Fred says, twisting on the spot.

“Ready to go?” I ask Maddie.

“It could be…” she shakes her head and looks at me, “what?”

“Ready to go home?” I ask with a sigh.

“Oh, umm, you go, I want to check something out,” she says absentmindedly. I open my mouth to protest, but she’s already gone.

“Guess it’s just you and me,” I tell Alithea. She’s asleep on my shoulder. I’m not lonely at all. *Weeps*

I disapparate home and walk upstairs to her bedroom. I tuck her into her bed and crack the window open slightly to let some cool air in.

I walk into my bedroom and grab my pyjamas and a towel, heading for the shower. Once I’m done I shave my chin, noticing that it’s getting prickly. I hear a crack downstairs as I’m finishing, and walk out into the bedroom. Almost immediately Maddie throws herself into my arms. I stumble back into the wall, but kiss her back with gusto. I gently guide her to the bed, not breaking the kiss, and lie her down. I feel my heart speed up as I pull her shorts off.

“Ouch!” I stumble backwards, clutching my stomach. Maddie is looking at me guiltily, biting her lip.

“Did you knee me?” I gasp.

“I’m sorry!” she squeaks, “I just… George, I can’t do this!”

“Do what?” I cough, trying to get my breath back.

“I don’t want to get pregnant again.”

I look up at her.

“You don’t?”

She shakes her head.

“I don’t want to go through that again,” she whispers, “I couldn’t.”

I move over to sit on the bed, keeping a careful distance from her legs.

“The healers said it wasn’t a problem with you,” I say slowly, “they said it was probably a one-off.”

“I know,” she says, looking down at the bed. She looks so beautiful like that.

“Are we ever going to have sex again?” I ask, half-joking.

“Would you hate it if we didn’t?”

“Yes.”

“Would you hate me if we didn’t?”

I sigh and lean back in the pillows.

“I couldn’t hate you,” I tell her. She slides up to sit next to me. Her head is tilting to the side and she looks like a curious puppy.

“I think we rushed into it,” she says. I roll my eyes.

“Oh, no, really?”

“Do you think we’re ready to be in the situation?” she asks, playing with the bottom of my shirt. I watch her for a moment.

“Yeah, I do,” I answer. She looks at me.

“Really?”

I nod firmly. She looks out the window.

“I…” she pauses, thinking, “I don’t know what to think.”

“Would you want to change it?”

She’s silent for a long time and then she smiles down at me and shakes her head.

“Maybe we’re not ready,” I shrug, “but we’re here, so we might as well act as if we are.”

“True that,” she laughs, “George, I’m scared.”

“Of what?”

“Of falling pregnant.”

“Just because we have sex doesn’t mean you’ll fall pregnant,” I point out. She rolls her eyes.

“Our track record isn’t great.”

“Come here,” I say, opening my arms wide. She snuggles up to me.

“We’ll do it when and if you want,” I tell her, “not before.”

“See, the thing is, I want to,” she says, “I’m just scared.”

“You know what I always say,” I grin, “always do what you’re afraid to do.”

Maddie laughs at me.

“You just made that up!”

“Yeah,” I grin, “but I think I’ll stick with it.”

We laugh together and then fall into a comfortable silence. I feel my eyelids begin to droop.

“George?”

“Mmm?”

“Are you falling asleep?”

“Mmm.”

“Damn, I was going to tell you I’m ready now.”

My eyes fly open and I sit up straight.

“I’m awake,” I tell her. She laughs and hits me with a pillow.

“You’re such a boy.”