Chapter 87

**Maddie’s POV**

“Maddison?”

I turn towards Narcissa. She’s standing in the doorway wearing the same anxious expression she’s been wearing ever since I arrived here. She approaches me cautiously, glancing nervously over her shoulder.

“I know… Severus vowed… But, I can’t help worrying…”

She wrings her hands and stares beseechingly.

“Please, I know he’s not your cousin, but he is-”

“Family,” I interrupt, “I’ll watch out for him as much as I can.”

“Thank you,” she nods, “the others are waiting for you downstairs.”

My heart heavy with foreboding, I follow Narcissa down the stairs into the grand hall. Amycus, Alecto, Greyback, Bellatrix and Avery are waiting there.

“Finally,” Bellatrix sneers, “let’s go!”

We disapparate to Borgan and Burkes. Borgan doesn’t look up from cleaning the counter as we crowd around the cabinet.

“I’ll go first,” Bellatrix announces, “then Black.”

We watch as she steps into the cabinet and closes the doors. There’s a soft swooping noise and the doors swing open again.

“You heard her,” Amycus growls, prodding me in the back. I step into the cabinet and pull the doors closed. My heart rates picks up as claustrophobia sets in.

“Ah!” I squeal as I feel myself being pulled through the air. I spin around and around. I can hear voices growing stronger.

“Ouch,” I groan as I fall face-first into the doors of the other cabinet. Bellatrix opens the door and steps aside, looking too casual. I step past her and nod to Draco. He nods back. I notice how pale he is and how much weight he’s lost.

“You okay?” I breathe, touching his arm softly. He nods once, clenching his jaw.

“You’ll be okay,” I promise. He shakes his head and looks away. By this time Amycus and Alecto are through.

“The werewolf got stuck!” Amycus giggles madly. Draco raises his wand and mutters a spell. Greyback comes tumbling out of the cabinet, snarling and looking very vicious. Soon after Avery joins us.

“Alright, we all know the plan,” Bellatrix says gleefully, “we sneak into Dumbledore’s office and-”

“He’s gone,” Draco interrupts, “left about two hours ago. Should be back soon.”

“Where’s he gone?” Avery growls.

“For a drink,” Draco shrugs.

“Well, we’ll set him a little trap then,” Bellatrix says, “we’ll send the Mark above the astronomy tower! Draco can wait for him there.”

“Who’ll send it?” Alecto asks, her eyes glinting in the dim light. They all turn to look at me.

“I can’t do it,” I point out, “only someone with it on their arm can.”

“Fine, I’ll go,” Avery says.

“What’ll the rest of us do?” Bellatrix asks.

“Visit Severus,” Avery shrugs, slipping out the door.

“Black, you go wake Severus,” Bellatrix orders. I raise an eyebrow at her, but follow Avery out the door.

I sneak down the corridor as quietly as I can. I don’t want to wake anyone or the whole school will be out in the corridors and someone could… Scratch that, someone will get hurt.