Chapter 24

"You may now kiss the groom," the man cast as the preacher said, and Darren and Chris lip-locked for what seemed like the hundredth time that day. But honestly, neither of them minded.

Everyone cheered again, and Ryan gave directions.

"I think we're close to having enough footage," he called from his chair behind one of the cameras, "One more take should do it! Take five, people, and come back ready to do it again!"

"You ready?" Chord whispered to Chris as he took a sip from his water bottle. He was the only person besides Ryan who knew about Chris' plan, and that was only because Chord was the one who needed to switch out the rings, replacing the prop that was Blaine's for the real deal meant for Darren.

"I'm ready. I'm so beyond ready," Chris replied.

The scene started. The wedding march played, and Darren and Chris as Blaine and Kurt made their way down the aisle. Kurt was on his father's arm, and Blaine was attached to the man cast as his dad.

The preacher started to drone on about friendship, love, and commitment. Chris barely heard any of it; he was too busy being filled with nervous energy and adrenaline. Luckily, he heard his cue line loud and clear.

"Have the grooms prepared any vows?"

Chris took one last deep breath, and started in with the line that Kurt was supposed to say. "I believe in true love. And when I look at you, I feel like the luckiest man in the world."

Then he started to go off-course, making everyone in the audience look on in bafflement. He knew that throughout the course of his speech, their faces of his friends would change from surprised, to a look of dawning realization, to excitement, to tearing up with happiness. Chris began his monologue that he had written and rehearsed all himself.

"I remember the first time I met you. I was standing right over there, and you came up to me and introduced yourself. It was right then and there when I started to love you; you were so sweet, handsome, funny, nerdy, and you had an incredible voice. As we developed an on-screen relationship, I realized I was feeling something off-screen too. It was hard to describe, but I guess you could say that my heart beat faster every time you looked at me and I turned into this giant happy unicorn during and after every one of our conversations. It was like I was Kurt, falling head-over-heels for Blaine. But instead, it was me, the real me, falling head-over-heels for the real you. I tried to hide it at first, but even after 3 years of attempting to act normal like you weren't the most amazing person I'd ever met in my entire life, I was still in love with you. I still felt that chemical reaction called true love when I was around you. I felt that way when we kissed for the very first time, not as our characters, but as you and me. I felt that way when we worked through everything that has happened to both of us in these last few months. I feel that way whenever I'm with you, when we look at each other, when we touch, when we talk, even when we argue. I feel that when I think of you, or when I know you're thinking of me. I feel that to this very minute, and I know I will forever, because we have something called true love. So, Darren Everett Criss, will you marry me?"

As he said the last sentence, he reached behind to grab the ring box from Chord's outstretched hands. He got down on one knee, and opened the box to reveal not the prop, but the gold band inlaid with 5 diamonds. Chris suddenly realized that he was crying, and that he had been since mid-way through his speech. Then he realized that Darren was crying too. Chris didn't even have to wait for Darren's answer. He knew what it would be.

"Yes!" Darren said with such emotion that the few number of people in the room not already crying began to tear up.

The men kissed passionately. It lasted for several moments, much longer than any of the Klaine kisses they had had that day, because unlike the kisses between the two fictional characters, this kiss was a connection not even the most practiced of actors could play out. Everyone in the room felt the electricity, especially Chris and Darren.

"I love you so much," Darren said, grinning wider than he had ever in his life as Chris slipped the ring onto his finger.