Chapter 5

"BZZZZ," Darren awoke to the gentle vibration, coming from the floor next to his bed. He slowly lifted Chris' arms, careful not to wake him up, and bent down to shut off his phone.

Twitter, the screen read.

Stephanie: @darrencriss, I didn't know you were this close with your buddy Chris! #fagpatrol

Then there was a link to a picture. Darren stopped breathing. With a sudden jolt, he moved his thumb and clicked the link.

A photograph appeared. A photograph that seemed to have been taken from the doorway of the restaurant they had eaten at last night.

A picture of Chris and himself.

Kissing.

It wasn't a deep kiss, but it was a loving peck on the lips, and you could see the boys hands clasped together under the table. Most of all, you could see the smile lines on the men's eyes. It was one of the cutest things he had ever seen.

And the most horrible.

Darren mindlessly sat up in bed. He got up, slipped on his shoes, pulled on a sweatshirt, and walked straight out the door like a zombie.

He pounded pavement. Breaking into a full-out sprint, Darren ran along the sunny sidewalks of Chris' neighborhood. He didn't care that it was six in the morning, and that he was running along the streets of LA in nothing more than sweats, tears on his cheeks. He just kept going. His sides ached. His feet started to hurt. But on he went, gasping and weeping.

He didn't even know why.

Soon, Darren came to a cemetery. He didn't know where he was. Wiping another tear from his cheek, he walked into the graveyard, stumbling past the tombstones.

It was quiet in there, a sanctuary from the outside world. Darren sat down, breathing heavily as he slid down the side of a headstone. He sat there, leaning on the grave, and closed his eyes. This wasn't real. It couldn't be real.

Chris opened his eyes.

"Morning, Dare," he mumbled, turning over, expecting to see his new boyfriend in bed next to him. No one was there.

He's probably already up, Chris thought. He got up and staggered out into the kitchen. Darren wasn't there either. He checked the bathroom, the hallway, and the living room. No Darren to be found.

Chris picked up his cell phone and called Darren's phone. Maybe he had gone out to the store and had just forgotten to leave a note.

To his discontent, Darren's phone was vibrating on the table. Chris picked it up, and pressed decline. The only thing on the home screen of the smart phone was a Twitter alert. Chris squinted and read it.

Oh no.

Stephanie had done it.

She had posted a picture of Darren and himself, kissing at the restaurant last night.

She had outed Darren.

That little monster.

Chris pulled on some jeans and a sweatshirt and drove straight to Stephanie's. Hopefully Darren would be there, but if not, the trip wouldn't be wasted. Stephanie needed to get a piece of his mind.

Chris rang the doorbell. Stephanie opened up, an amused smile on her face.

"Christopher," she said, nodding slightly.

"Where the hell is Darren?" Chris demanded, pushing past her.

"What? I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about!" Stephanie replied slyly.

"I saw your tweet, you bitch," Chris said angrily, peering past her.

"Don't be mad at me. It was your guys' choice to be..." Stephanie raised her eyebrows.

"I have every right to be mad at you! You just outed Darren without his permission for the entire world to see! You're awful!

Now where is he?" Chris shrieked. His already high voice tended to get higher when he was angry.

"I don't know where he is," Stephanie said, "Now leave."

Chris nodded, and turned for the door. Then he wheeled around and socked Stephanie in the jaw.

"Oh my god!" Stephanie gasped, the wind knocked out of her.

"That was for Darren!" Chris screamed, and walked out the door.