Chapter 10

A few hours later, Darren heard the doorbell ring.

Chris probably forgot his keys, he thought. Chris had gone out to buy a few things from the store.

Darren opened up the door. A flash of long hair came into his vision, then lips were on his. Before he even realized what was going on, Stephanie was kissing his face with such ferocity that Darren was temporarily stunned.

He recovered enough to push her away and scream, "What the hell was that?"

"Just trying to straighten my boy out. Come here," Stephanie said, and yanked him by his shirt collar. She put her hands on his shoulders and pushed him into the apartment, smashing her face against his. Darren was so taken aback that all he could do was stand in a stupefied silence.

"Tell me you don't like this," Stephanie said, "I know you do."

"I don't!" Darren yelled back, "Now get off of me! I told you I never wanted to see you again!"

He tried to push Stephanie away, but she seemed stronger than was possible, and she shoved him up against the wall and began kissing him again. Darren struggled and tried to slip away, but no matter how hard he tried he just couldn't escape Stephanie's grasp.

CRASH.

"Oh my God," Chris' voice came from the doorway. A bag of groceries lay sideways on the ground. Stephanie turned around.

"Chris!" Darren screamed. He was so happy Chris had come to save him.

"Oh my God. Ohh my God," Chris repeated, then he turned and ran top speed back down the hallway.

"No, Chris! Wait!" Darren yelled, but it was too late. Chris was already gone.

Darren turned to Stephanie. "You dirty rotten little-"

"Stop. This was just what you needed. Now come on, let's go back to our house," Stephanie responded in a sweet voice.

"No!" Darren boomed, "There is no way in hell I'm going back to you! You're mean, you're awful, you're disgusting, you're demented! Now get out. Now. And I swear, I will call the cops if you ever come near me again. Got it?" His voice was full of raw, burning anger.

"No, baby, no, just-"

"I'm not your baby. Get out. GET OUT!" Darren pushed her out the door, his voice now shaking with fury. Once Stephanie was in the hallway, he slammed the door forcefully and turned the deadbolt.

I need to call Chris, Darren thought, panicked. He picked up the phone and dialed Chris' cell phone number. It went straight to voicemail. He tried again. Nothing.

"No, no, no, no, no!" Darren moaned, and slumped on the couch.

He texted Chris. I need to talk to you! Please answer your phone! It wasn't what it looked like! Please answer.

It was no use. Chris was radio silent. Darren, so full of anger and despair, threw a nearby pillow on the ground and screamed. Just when everything was going okay, Stephanie had to barge in and ruin it. He felt that wave of emotion he always felt when he was about to cry. For a second, he tried to hold back his tears, but it was no use. He cried and cried, stopping every once in a while to try to contact Chris. Nothing worked.

Eventually, Darren wound up face down on the couch, cheeks streaked with tears, and attempting to avoid lying on the bruises Stephanie had left behind.

Chris sat on a park bench, mopping up his tears. He didn't care about anything anymore. He had seen it with his own eyes; Darren and Stephanie had been making out, inside HIS apartment!

I should've known, Chris thought bitterly, I should've known he wasn't really gay, or bisexual, or whatever. It was too good to be true.

As the sun disappeared behind the trees and the air cooled down, Chris pulled his jacket tight around him and he curled up on the bench. He couldn't go back to his apartment, he couldn't face Darren.

His phone buzzed in his pocket for the millionth time. It took all of Chris' willpower to ignore it. He needed to hear Darren's voice, yet at the same time he didn't want to. It would hurt too much.

I should've known he didn't really love me, Chris thought again, Not in that way. He just needed a friend. How could I have been so stupid?

With salty tears dripping down his cheeks, he closed his eyes. There was a horrible empty feeling in the pit of his stomach, and he realized it was because of the absence of Darren in his arms. He sighed. He would have to get used to that feeling.