Chapter 7

Chris and Darren walked into the set of Glee, hand in hand. Lea ran right up to them.

"Hey," she said, "I saw Stephanie's tweet,"

"Yeah, it seems like the whole universe did," Darren replied, making a good attempt at smiling.

"Are you... okay?" Lea said concernedly.

"You know what? I think I am. I think I really, truly am," Darren decided.

The work day began. Darren and the rest of the New Directions sat out while Lea, Naya, and Chris filmed a few scenes. Then a couple of choir room scenes, and a famous Becky Xylophone Tip. Darren and Chord had a scene, then Klaine finally got some action. It seemed like Fox was allowing more gay kisses to be aired this season, which made Chris very happy. He loved having yet another excuse to kiss his adorable co-star.

And my boyfriend, Chris thought giddily as he straightened his scarf. Ever since Kurt had moved to New York, the overwhelming costumes had been toned down a bit, but the elaborate clothes were still miles ahead of Chris' real life wardrobe.

"Okay, boys. Can we take it from 'I'm so excited for you, for us', please?" Ryan Murphy directed. Darren and Chris got into position.

"I'm so excited for you! For us!" Chris said, grabbing Darren's shoulders.

"I'm just glad this whole messed-up situation worked itself out," Darren replied, "We finally get our happy ending."

"This is way happier than any other happy ending," Chris said, stroking Darren's face.

"And why is that?" Darren asked.

"Because it's you and me," Chris said sweetly. Then came the kiss. Chris wished it was scripted as more than just a little peck. Then he reminded himself, I'll get to kiss him harder later! and smiled as Darren's lips brushed against his.

"Very nice, guys! Really nicely done. Can we take five? I need to talk to Darren and Chris about something," Ryan called, motioning for the two to come over to him. They complied, and the rest of the cast and crew left the area.

"So, I heard that you two were dating now," Ryan said quietly.

Darren looked alarmed. "Is it going to be a problem?"

"No, no, not at all!" Ryan giggled like a kid in a candy shop,bouncing on the balls of his feet, "It's just so exciting!"

Chris looked a little disgruntled. "Why is it exciting?"

"Oh, you two... you just had so much chemistry from the start, and... it's pretty cute!" Ryan chuckled.

"Yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before," Darren said, trying to be sarcastic, but he ended up smiling lovingly at Chris.

"As long as you don't have any bad break-ups that effect your acting," Ryan mocked, then shook his finger jokingly.

"I don't plan on that ever happening," Darren replied, grinning wide, "Ever."

A few hours later, the workday was done. Chris and Darren decided to head back to the apartment for pizza and a movie. As they stepped out the back door, Chris grabbed Darren's hand. Words could not describe how amazing it felt to be able to hold his hand, without it being some cheesy Klaine scene. Every time the two touched, Chris' heart leaped and he got tiny flutters in his stomach. It sounded so clichè, but it was true; he literally felt happy inside whenever Darren brushed his arm or made eye contact. He had never met another guy who had this effect on him, and he had to say, he liked it. It made him feel... loved.

Darren reached for his pink sunglasses as the men stepped out into the late afternoon light, and they began their trek across the sprawling parking lot to Chris' car. Then, they heard a whisper from the bushes.

"Ew! Look at those fags!" a voice screeched from a shrub.

"Disgusting! It's just not right!" Another one shrieked back.

"I think I'm gonna barf, they're holding hands!"

Chris stopped. His pulse quickened. His teeth clenched. This was all too familiar. He had heard the exact same thing in high school from the bullies who had tortured him. He knew how to handle this kind of situation. Just keep walking. Ignore them. Take away their power.

But this time, he couldn't do that. The people in the bushes, whoever they were, were not just insulting him, they were insulting Darren. And nobody, nobody, insulted Darren.

Chris dropped Darren's hand. He turned around and strided towards the shrubbery, gliding on the adrenalin. Once he reached the plants, he took a deep breath and parted the branches.

Two teenage boys were squatting in the dirt. They looked up, an amused look on their faces.

"Hey, fag. What are you going to do to me? Throw a tampon at me? Whack me with your purse?" the boy with the beanie chuckled.

"Why don't you do us all a favor and drop dead?" the kid with the ripped cargo pants guffawed, "It'll save us from your nastiness!" The two boys high-fived.

Chris slowly smiled, a look of realization and pleasure. "Hey, Jeremy. I recognize you from the picture your mother showed me of you. I met her at the benefit for suicide awareness last month."

Beanie Boy's mouth dropped open. "Wha-" he stuttered.

"I'll make sure she knows you were here, she'll be just delighted that I finally met you! Now, you boys have fun back here, just use protection! Bye-bye!" Chris waved his fingers and strutted off, leaving the two boys speechless.

Darren was right next to Chris before he knew it. He wrapped his arm around the other man's waist and they walked to the car. Chris climbed into the driver's seat, dumbstruck. He started the ignition. A tear fell from his eye. Then another. Then another.

"Hey, hey! Why are you crying?" Darren said comfortingly, "That was amazing, what you did back there!" He touched Chris' cheek.

Chris sobbed, but it was also kind of a laugh. "I just- I just never had the courage to do that!" Chris said, both crying and insanely, wondrously happy at the same time.

"It was incredible. And pretty freaking classy," said Darren, and soon he was crying too. Both men were bawling and laughing, and anyone watching them would've sworn they were crazy, but to them, it made so much sense.