Chapter 11

Darren awoke with a jolt. He looked at the clock. 5 a.m.

A flood of memories came back to him all at once. Stephanie showing up at the door. Stephanie attacking him. Stephanie pressing him against the wall and kissing him. Chris walking in. Kicking Stephanie out. Calling Chris. Chris not answering. Falling asleep on the couch. Pain.

I need to go find him, Darren thought. He jumped up and grabbed his car keys. If I was Chris, where would I go?

He pondered this as he began to drive around the neighborhood. Maybe Chris had gone to a friend's house? No. He was much to polite to impose on someone, and it would be too embarrassing for him. It was more likely that he was at a bus stop, or park, or somewhere like that.

He drove past a few diners and public areas. Darren began to sniffle as he rolled past the graveyard where he himself had run away to after he had been outed. Chris had known where he was, so why couldn't Darren find Chris?

Just as he was about to give up, Darren drove past a park.

Is that... What is that on the bench? Darren thought, and hope surged through his entire body. Somebody was sleeping on the park bench, and it looked an awful lot like Chris.

Darren parked his car and sprinted over to the sleeping body. Sure enough, it was Chris.

"C-C-Chris?" Darren stuttered. Chris slowly opened his eyes.

"Darren? What are you doing here?" Chris mumbled, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

Darren fell to his knees, sobbing and wrapping Chris in a bear hug. "I came to find you! I've been looking for you! I needed to explain! What you saw last night, it was Stephanie! She came in and she-she-" he faltered. What exactly had she done?
"She tried to jump me! I opened the door and suddenly she was pushing me against the wall, practically trying to rape me, and then you walked in, and-and-" Darren was crying harder than ever before by this point, "And you ran away, and I was so worried, Chris, I was so worried that I had lost you, and-"

Chris cut him off. "Shhh... It's okay. I'm sorry I ran off. Shhh. Don't cry,"

"Oh my God, Chris," Darren cried, "Don't be sorry."

"I am. I ran away and didn't answer your calls!" Chris said, now crying himself, hugging Darren with all his might.

"It's okay! I mean, it's okay if you're okay," Darren said softly into Chris' ear.

"It's all okay," Chris said back, and stood up. "Let's go. I didn't get any good sleep last night without you. I had nightmares."

"Me, too," Darren whispered, grasping Chris' hand, "I dreamed that you went missing and the last thing you ever saw was me and her, and they never found you." Darren sniffled again.

"It's okay. I'm right here. Now can we go crawl into bed and snuggle all day please?" Chris said hopefully.

"Yeah," Darren laughed, "Yeah."