Who Really Knows Anyway--A CrissColfer Fanfiction

A very cold, crying Darren Criss was the last thing Chris Colfer expected to see at his front door, 7 o'clock on a Wednesday night. Maybe his next door neighbor bringing him his mail. Maybe the pizza guy. Most certainly not his co-worker, on-screen lover, and best friend. And long-time crush, but that was never going to happen.

"H-hi," Darren stuttered as he stood in the hallway of Chris' apartment.

"Um, hi... what are you doing here?" Chris said cautiously. He was taken aback. Normally Darren was with his girlfriend Stephanie (Chris absolutely despised Stephanie) on weeknights like this.

"I-I just didn't know where else to go. Can I come in?" Darren replied, with that adorable sad puppy look on his face he normally reserved for his character Blaine. Chris ushered him in.

"What happened to you? You're shivering like crazy!" Chris asked.

"Can I... tell you something?" Darren replied, his voice cracking.

"Yeah, yeah, anything," Chris said. Even when Darren was distraught and in tears the man was still astonishingly handsome.

Darren took a deep, shuddering breath. Then it all came out.

"Stephanie broke up with me and kicked me out onto the street and I didn't have my car or even my jacket and I don't know what I'm going to do!" he said all in one breath.

"Oh my god, Darren. I'm so sorry," Chris' acting skills came very much in handy, because underneath his concerned look he was jumping for joy. Then he realized. Darren was still straight. Even now that he was broken up with his girlfriend, he wouldn't fall for Chris. He was a dude, and Darren didn't go for dudes.

"Sorry, sorry, I shouldn't have come here," Darren started to mumble. He turned for the door, another tear falling from his eye.

"NO! I mean, no, it's okay. It's more than okay," Chris jumped up, blocking Darren from the door. Then he blushed and moved out of the way. Who was he to keep Darren there if he didn't want to be?

Chris' cat, Brian, strutted into the room and mewed loudly. Darren turned around, and seeing the cat standing there, kneeled down hugged him with shaking arms. As Darren sat there, quaking and whispering "what a good cat you are" into Brian's ear, Chris couldn't help but smile. Darren had always wanted a cat, but Stephanie was allergic.

Maybe Darren could stay here and share Brian, Chris thought rashly. Then he realized how stupid that was. The two were friends, and nothing more, and that's how it always would be.

Darren let out a sob. He coughed, trying to cover it up.

Then Chris thought of something. "Wait, you said you didn't have your car. How did you get here?"

Darren seemed to realize what he was doing. He stood up, brushed himself off, and tried to wipe the tears from his cheeks.

"I walked," he said, but his voice was still shaky.

"Walked?" Chris gasped, "That's like 2 miles from here!"

Darren shrugged a little. He was so cute when he did that. Chris couldn't help himself. He stepped towards Darren and pulled him into a hug. Darren collapsed into his arms, and let out another sob. Chris felt a tear fall onto his shoulder, then another, then another. Soon, Darren was full-on crying, and Chris just stood there, rocking him back and forth and telling him it would be okay.

It would be okay for Darren. Pretty soon he would get a new girlfriend, get married, have a few kids. And Chris would be stuck, watching the first guy he ever thought he really, truly loved slip away.