Part 42 Small creature

It was as if time had stopped without me. I could hear nothing but that great roar, repeating over and over again in my head. A mates calling.

My heart that had been shattered in my chest slowly began to piece itself back together, a warm feeling taking over my entire body. He was here. He had somehow broken free and was here to save me.

I saw it now. The past few months play in my mind like a movie. And I came to the realisation that I regretted none of it. Not the way I had first felt about Valentino, nor the way he treated me. All that mattered was here and now. This moment right here. . A mates bond so strong that it could over power anything.

I snapped out of my daze when Samira was suddenly flying across the room. I gasped, my eyes landing on the ancient one that was hissing and growling like a wild animal. I stumbled back as she advanced on me, despite the sounds of people coming towards us. She would be outnumbered soon.

"You may have won this battle," she hissed out, "but there will be many more." Looking at my stomach, she suddenly began to smile. "May your son be powerful and strong, but I curse him a heart made of steel that only the truest can break."

With that, she was gone. Having not of of realised I was crying, I was surprised when I could taste the warm tears trailing down by cheeks, its saltiness on the tip of my tongue.

Just as I crumpled to my knees, completely exhausted and devastated, the sound of the door being quite literally pulled open could be heard, causing me to flinch.

His warmth surrounded me, along with his familiar scent and powerful aura. Only, now he was different. Now he was a mere mortal like I.

An image flashed in my mind. It was of a man, his salt and pepper hair combed back as he wore his finest. He was carrying what appeared to be a mug of some type of steaming beverage as he stepped into a very cosy looking living area. And there, seated on the sofa, was a woman of the same age, with hair as white as snow and a face that brightened the moment she saw the man, her green eyes youthful despite her age. She smiled at him, nothing but love and adoration in the action as he handed her the mug and settled beside her. Even after so many years, the man was still very handsome, his golden eyes glittering like jewels, his face still appealing and almost boyish as he kissed the woman on the cheek and took her free hand that held a beautiful ring that shimmered in the lights.
Surrounding them were four walls filled with memories. Many of the man and woman, at different stages of their lives. There was the day the man had officially proposed to the woman, the day that their eldest took his first steps, the birth of their granddaughter and many more.
It was a beautiful image, the one of the woman and man sat side by side, hand in hand, as he lived in their past and dreamed about their future, yet to happen.
___________________________
I woke up with a start, feeling as though I had been smashed in the face with a rock. It took me a moment before my eyes adjusted and I realised that I was laid in a bed made of cushions and pillows, however not uncomfortable. Sitting up, I was stopped by the roundness preventing me from sitting up straight. I looked down to find my bulging stomach and smiled warmly as I knew that my son was safe.

It took me a moment, but eventually I was able to get to my feet. I had been put in what could only be a tent by its round structure and lack of actual walls. Looking around, I spotted the snow boots I had been wearing and shoved them onto my docked feet, draping a wooden blanket over my shoulders before stepping out.

The snow that coated the ground was almost knee deep. Looking down at my stomach once more, I wouldn't be surprised if I was almost due, as I looked large enough to be carrying triplets.

God forbid.

Sucking it up, I walked around in search of someone, only there was no one to be seen. It was if the tribe people were hiding from me.

Though it had been over a month now since I was last here, it was as though I'd never left. Having not been able to appreciate all that Valentino's people had done to set up their home, I was amazed by the large tents and the design on the outer fabric. Pulling the blanket closer around my shoulders I passed the only tent with a light on. Peering in, I immediately wished I hadn't after what I saw.

Marla and Koen in a tight embrace, their lips locked in passion. Guilty and slightly nauseous, I turned to go back to the tent I came from, hoping someone would remember my existed sooner or later and come find me.

But instead, I stopped, the breath being knocked out of my chest as I beheld the man before me. So many emotions swirled inside of me that I couldn't do anything but stare, my heart picking up at an alarming pace.

He hadn't changed one bit. Same stuck up inky black hair, same pale complexion and strong jaw, same full lips and sparkling golden eyes. Only now they were glowing brighter than I had ever seen them.

The mate bond became stronger than ever, padlocked so that it would never come loose again. Warmth took over my body and I felt the constant kick kick of my son as I stared in awe at his father. At my husband. At my mate.

It was if we had both snapped out of our frozen states, released from our binds, as one moment we were staring at one another across a distance that felt like miles, and the next we were running towards each other, him faster than me.

It wasn't long before we were both falling to our knees in a tight embrace, my stomach pressing into his. He grabbed my face, not painfully but not gently either, and just looked at me. Looked from the red of my lips, to the curve of my nose, to the tears leaking from my green eyes.

Reunited finally.

"I love you." Was all I could manage out.

He smiled, leaning his forehead against mine, his hands going to hold my stomach as our breaths mingled. I squeezed my eyes closed, taking in the scent of him and letting myself experience total bliss.

I loved this man. I loved this man almost as much as the child that grow in my stomach.

"I love you too," he said passionately, "my small creature."

Oh my god. (Goes and cries in a corner). I cannot believe I'm finally finished with this story! It's been months, and yet it feels as though it's only been days.

I can't even begin to thank everyone who has supported me by reading this book and showing their approval by voting and commenting.

It means the absolute world to me. The day I found out if reached 1K was when I'd just come back from a week in Spain, now I'm almost at 5K?! I'm so proud of how far I've came with this story, and how much I've enjoyed writing it.

This story and its characters will forever hold a special place in my heart, not only because of the supporters it has given me, but because it has made me feel. I love Nat and Val so very much it seems almost ridiculous, but they are my characters and whatever they go through I must too.

If anyone feels this ending was too abrupt and lots of things were not explained, then don't fret as I will be posting the epilogue soon, and whatever is not in that I will be putting in my side book of extras.

Something else to look forwards to is the revealed plot of the sequel! I really really hope everyone keeps supporting me by joining me on this next adventure. I'm really excited to continue this world with a whole new list of characters that I can get to know and love.

Thank you again and I love you all, my small creatures.

❤️-K