Part 14 Frozen

[Shout out to GalaxyDragon2 for creating this insanely amazing cover! I love it so much! And thanks coolcourtney5 for recommending to me 😊]

I wasn't sure how long I'd been walking, only that I no longer could. The pain from the cold was just too much, my toes no longer able to bend, my feet unable to sustain my body weight any longer.

I was sick, my cheeks hot despite my low body temperature, and my nose running before freezing on my top lip.
I must have resembled something that looked near dead.

I hadn't seen a form of life since leaving Val who hadn't even attempted to follow me.

How strange.

I would have thought after all of his efforts to keep me, he'd try harder not to let me go. Oh well, it's what I wanted in the end.

Or at least I tell myself that.

Stopping, I allowed my body to drop into the snow backwards, my head burying into the snow as I looked up at the clear blue sky.

What a nice place to go. I thought to myself. Dying with a view like this seemed to make it ten times better, no matter how hard a time I was having at coming to terms with having my life ended at such a young age. I saw myself becoming a human rights lawyer, marrying Robbie and eventually settling down with a dog and maybe some kids. That's how I saw myself going when the time came, in the presence of my husband, children and grandchildren. Not now, not like this.

I suppose you can't choose and pick.

My ears perked when I heard a noise somewhere nearby. I was having major deja vu in that moment, thinking back to the woods and my first encounter with Val. If I had just stayed in my car... But even so, something told me that other events would eventually have led me to him.

I could not sit up, as my muscles and bones had frozen in place. I began to pray that whatever wild animal it was would end my life quickly and save me the suffering.

"Is it her?" I heard a voice whisper.

Oh so they're human. Well, same rules apply. End my life quickly and I won't come back and haunt you.

"How are you so sure?" Another whisper.

I wondered who they were talking about. Surely not me, as no one but Val and Lena knew about me I assumed.

Right?

"Yes. It is her. You can feel her potential greatness from just here."

"She doesn't look too great. What is she doing laying in the snow like that?"

Oh great.

I closed my eyes, attempting to appear dead so they'd leave me alone and let me really die in peace.

"She does realise that we can see her breathing?" Said a female voice a little louder. "And hear her heartbeat?"

"She's human, you moron." Another female voice hissed. "Of course she doesn't."

"I think she does," the first voice argued. "King Valentino doesn't just let his slaves go without a fight. She must have discovered his true nature."

I opened my eyes, almost screaming when I saw two faces hovering above my own. They were both female, leading me to believe that they had been the two speaking. They both wore giant coats to keep their bodies from the cold, their cheeks wind bitten and their noses rosy. The one with the more rounded face and bright blue eyes pulled her hood back, revealing a mane of fiery red hair, reminding me of a lion.

"You are Natalie?" She said, her voice thick with an accent I had never heard before. Now that I thought about it, Val had the same accent. (Dunno why, but I imagine them sounding like Russian or German. But you can imagine it however you want.)

I didn't answer, for how the hell else would they know my name if they weren't working for Val? They were probably his minions out to bring me back to the castle.

"Can she not hear us?" The second one asked, her wide blue eyes reminding me of Lena.

"She can hear us, alright." The first said. "She's just smart in not speaking."

That, and I probably couldn't even talk if I tried.

"What do we do now?" The second blue eyed woman asked, biting her pale bottom lip.

"We take her back to the tribe."

Out of nowhere, a white feather dropped onto my face, balancing on the bridge of my nose. I sucked in a burning breath as I felt a wave of tiredness wash over me as my body was lifted into the air by invisible hands.

I couldn't even fight back if I tried.

[Short chapter, I know. Currently I am at my grandma's so sorry if the updates are short or slow to be posted. Things she be back to normal tomorrow evening or Wednesday.]