Part 11 Drowned

Water. It was everywhere. In my mouth, in my lungs, up my nose, in my eyes. I couldn't breath, couldn't see, couldn't think.

I didn't even get given a chance to be scared as my body was slammed into the bottom of the river, my head hitting into a sharp and pointed rock. My vision blurred and I regrettably inhaled what felt like the entire river.

I'd learned in school that when you drowned, your body made sure not to inhale until the very last minuet. However this caused the feeling that your head was about to explode.

I knew without a doubt that I had to get to the surface before that happened.

I frantically began to kick my legs around, searching for the bottom of the river to push me up and to safety. To no avail, I began to use my hands, flailing them backwards until they slammed into the rocky bottom. My body was dragged along the river bed, my nails digging into the sharp stones and pebbles to try and keep myself still. This just resulted in bleeding fingertips and ripped nails.

I could feel it. Feel my lungs desperately searching for oxygen, burning for a sense of relief.

My body became tired, no longer able to hold on any longer as I let my body be dragged down the river. My mind becoming clouded, my eyes fluttering closed.

Just as I felt myself slipping away, drifting along the waves, a light burned in my vision, keeping me holding on for just a moment longer.

That moment was all I needed, as the next thing I knew, I was being pulled upwards until my face broke through the barrier of water.

Air rushed to my ragged lungs as I choked out dark water. I was still being lifted until I felt my soaking and weak body leave the river and be placed gently in the snow.

I was uncontrollably shaking so hard that my teeth rattled, my eyes rolling back into my head.

I felt something hard slam into my chest, causing my lungs to convulse and icy water to travel up my throat and out of my mouth, onto my heaving body.

This happened multiple times before I felt as though I had gagged out the entire river onto myself. My head fell to the side, the ice biting into my numb cheek.

"You're alright, Natalie." Val said, for the first time in me knowing him, sounding scared.

For my wellbeing.

"Stay with me, small creature." I heard him whisper in my ear as my body was lifted. Water dripping from every part of my body.

I clung onto him for dear life, noticing how he too was sopping wet. He must have dived in and saved me when he noticed I'd gone under.

Crazy. He's crazy. Right?

"Sleep, small creature." He told me, bringing me closer to his chest.

"I'm done with sleeping." I mumbled, pressing my face into his shoulder blade, causing the muscle to ripple beneath my touch. How odd. "I'd like to see whoever bathes and changes me while I'm out cold."

Val chuckled, the action sending vibrations from deep in his chest onto my stomach that clenched involuntarily. "Well Lena, of course. I would trust no one else."

"Huh," I said, acting surprised, "I would have thought the idea of doing it yourself, whilst I was so vulnerable and unaware of course, that you would be unable to control yourself."

I know I'd pushed a button when he said in his deepest, most husky voice, "Trust me, creature, that when the time comes that I see your bare flesh, you will be wide awake with nothing but my name on you sweet lips."