Part 28 Desires

One moment, Valentino was looking at me with a mix of regret and awe, the next I was being thrown back by an arm as hard as steel, the air being knocked out of my lungs as I hit the marble floor.

Golden flames erupted from Valentino's open palms, shooting straight for the ceiling. But instead of catching on fire, the ceiling was hit by that magical force that sent it crumbling downwards.

Valentino was by my side not a moment later, my husband, not wasting a any seconds before throwing me over his shoulder and running out of the door.

I could hardly breath, especially when Valentino half twisted, raising the hand that did not hold me to his body, and shot another blast of his magic above where we had just been, causing that ceiling to also crack and rain down.

Valentino was so fast that no broken bits hit us as they fell behind, crashing into the ground where he had just stood.

This continued until we had reached the double doors of the entrance. As the sound of collapsing boomed behind us, Valentino set me down on the ground where I wobbled slightly, before using whatever other magic he wielded to open the doors.

"Valentino." I said, looking behind him to see that the destruction was quickly following behind. If we didn't get out quick enough, we'd be crushed in a matter of seconds.

"I told you to trust me!" Valentino growled as the doors began to open so slowly I wanted to scream.

Grabbing my arm, Valentino once again hauled me over his shoulder, my chest slamming into his hard shoulder bone, making me wince.

"Sorry." He rushed out, already slipping through the doors. He ran and ran until the palace was but a mere dot in the distance before setting me down once again.

When my heeled feet sunk into the snow, I was hit by a sudden sense of deja vu . Only, it wasn't Valentino I was running from this time, but the crumbling palace.

I looked to Valentino who was gasping, when a sudden thought hit me. "How are you able to leave the grounds of the palace?"

Valentino visibly swallowed. "When there was no longer a palace."

He was correct. Where once had stood a magnificent palace, now lay a pile of rubble. I felt my heart twist in my chest.

"You killed the priest." I said numbly.

Valentino shrugged. "I'd of killed anyone if it meant getting you out."

My mouth began dry as I said, "And Lena?"

"Was ordered to leave this morning."

I let out a sigh of relief, my body loosening. "What now?"

"We run." Val said, not meeting my eyes. "The ancient ones will be livid. They'll send one of their pets after us."

"Why?" I whispered, my voice barley audible over the whistle of the harsh wind.

Valentino, finally, slid his eyes to mine. It took a lot of strength not to gasp as how beautiful they were. Had I ever noticed that before. Had I ever cared?

"Though you believe me to be cold hearted, Natalie, I'm not. You are my wife now, my soulmate, and I think the ancient ones forget that. They believe that I am the monster they created. But even monsters will fight for those they love." His eyes, as if by their own will, traveled down to my stomach. "You bearing my child in inevitable, but that does not mean I will let them know where the child is, or when it is even born."

"So we go into hiding." I said, finding it hard to speak.

Valentino nodded. "We go into hiding until we have enough knowledge and power to end the ancient ones for all."