Part 31 Mates

Valentino was wasting no time tonight.
The moment we broke apart from our kiss, he tucked his arms under my legs and lifted me up into a bridal position.
I let out a squeal of surprise, blood rushing to my cheeks.

Valentino smirked. "It's our wedding night, don't forget. And I'm going to make it as traditional as possible for you."

I shivered at his hidden meaning, wrapping my arms around his neck as he carried me out of the room and down the hall.

My heart was slamming so hard I knew he could hear it with his vampire hearing. Vampire. Now that I thought about it, the word did not scare me quite so much as it had before. Val was Val.

We entered what must be a guest bedroom as the sheets were a plain white and the only other thing in the room besides furniture was the yellow lantern that cast a fiery glow over the room.

My mouth went dry when seeing the bed, fear pumping through me like my own blood. Valentino pulled me even closer to his chest and used his chin to tilt my head to his.

"You don't have to, if you don't want to." He whispered. "I know of the...risks."

I licked my dry lips with nerves. "Did you not say that our baby would be inevitable."

"Well yes-"

"Then it would happen sooner or later, whether we want it to or not." I said when a sudden thought occurred to me. My cheeks were so red now I could pass as a bloody ticking time bomb. "Couldn't you...um...couldn't you use-"

Valentino shook his head, a slight smile on his lips whilst his eyes were filled with concern. "Contraception is very rare in this land. The ancient ones forbade it when they still walked it and many tribes believed it to be a sin to use after the ancient ones were gone."

"So no sock?" I stupidly said, nervously chuckling.

Valentino shook his head and laughed. "No sock."

I bit my bottom lip. "Couldn't you just-"

"Natalie." Valentino said sternly. "If you do not want to do this tonight, then it's okay, I would never force anything upon you. But like you said, it will happen eventually. And don't you dare thing for one moment that for your first time, for our first time as mates, that I wouldn't go all the way."

I stared at him as my body became super hot at his words.

"Now, don't be a cock blocker and make your decision." He said roughly with a hint of humour.

I couldn't help it, I burst out laughing at his choice of words. I'd never heard anything like it!

Valentino didn't look too impressed. I quickly stopped laughing and pulled his face so it was inches away from mine. He made me feel so alive. So wanted. Which made it all the easier.

"I want you, Val. Tonight, tomorrow, the next day and forever." I licked my bottom lip and touched his face. "Especially tonight."

That was all I needed to say before Valentino had me laying on the bed on my back. My eyes widened at the quick movement, having forgotten about his vampire speed.

He loomed over me. My husband. My mate. My saviour. And soon, the man to take away something I had been saving a long time.